Hi,
    I'm planning on getting a new central A/C system (conventional ducts). The heating system is separate - steam radiators.
    I understand that all or most of designed systems come with some "standard" dust filter which needs to be maintained regularly. Is this filer effective for dust removal from my house air? If not, would the Aprilaire Air Cleaner (model 2200) be of any significant value?

If I use the A/C system year round on fan only when not in the cooling season for dust removal, would it have any adverse effect on the system's life, and wear and tear?

Any idea what's the typical power consumption of the fan only operation? Let's assume it's a 3.5 ton central A/C system.

Thanks to all respondents.

Sounds like you are also a candidate for a variable speed unit, It will use a lot less electricity.

The Aprilaire is good, look into a HEPA bypass unit also.

FWIW, I have hot water heat, a Lennox variable speed air handler with a Lennox PMAC-20 (same as an Aprilaire 2200) with a Lennox HEPA Bypass, no dust, my kid that has alergies can breathe.

Thumbs up Fan Only Power estimate :

Originally posted by myez_ac
    1. If I use the A/C system year round on fan only when not in the cooling season for dust removal, would it have any adverse effect on the system's life, and wear and tear?

2. Any idea what's the typical power consumption of the fan only operation?
    Let's assume it's a 3.5 ton central A/C system.
    1. I believe that the compressor is still more likely to wear out first if the air handler is kept clean and there are no corrosive elements (salt or an industrial gas) for an AHU located in a garage.

2. 3.5-ton air handler blower motor is ~1/2 HP.
    Actually electric consumption might be about 1/4 HP
    (~ 200 Watts) in Constant "fan only" mode.
    4.8 kw-hr/day or $0.50/day at $0.11/kW
    .. ~$15 per month.
    Very small price ( $100 per year) to pay for
    one who needs to address health issues.

Mfg & AHU model number would certainly assist in validating above power consumption generalization.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities