I know this site is not for DIY advice, but can someone confirm whether or not this stat is properly wired? If not, maybe I can get my contractor to contact you, if you provide an email address or other contact information. The contractor is scheduled to return on Friday. The stat is a Honeywell TH8321U. It's hooked up to an Amana Ultron 16 SEER, RTG48C2C heat pump and the gas furnace is an Amana 96% AFUE, AMV90905DXA. For those interested in my never ending quest for a properly operating system you can check out the "Duel Fuel Heat Pump Operation" string and "Compressor Fan Question" string among others. A hardy thanks to all those kind enough to help.

Senior Tech Guest
    Hmmm...guess it would depend on where the other end of the wires go..

And your right...

Unfortunately, due to site rules we as members can not discuss technical issues with the general public.

Thank you for your cooperation

Originally posted by georgiaguy
    I know this site is not for DIY advice
    So why ask?

Originally posted by arpa
    So why ask?
    So someone could point out the error to my contractor, if an error exists.

Originally posted by Senior Tech
    Hmmm...guess it would depend on where the other end of the wires go..

Thank you for your cooperation
    I recently had a new Amana, dual fuel, 2 stage heat pump installed. I also had a new variable speed, high efficiency, 2 stage gas backup furnace installed. The system is hooked up to a honeywell vision pro stat.

I have read your problem and it sounds like you are a looking in the right place for now. The furnace board and tsat might be fighting each other to see who gets to provide the $xxxxx comfort. We see that alot in this industry....

I will go find some quotes of wyounger that sounded relevant. You give an update on what is happening now.Is the set temp being maintained

Here's another workable hypothesis on what it's doing as far as blowing air without running the compressor. They may have have have set the number of cycles per hour on the heat pump heating too high. If they had that set at 6, it could end a heat pump heating cycle and try to start again before the heat pump was willing. The VisionPro also has a cycle delay which prevents restarting the compressor too soon after it cycled off, but that's also configurable and may be off. (In general, the VisionPro has a LOT of configurability in the installer menus, which also gives the installer a lot of places to screw up.) If the cycle delay timer was off and the cycles per hour on the heat pump heating stages were set at something like 6, it might try to start the heat pump again shortly after the heat pump cycled off; in that case the stat would start the blower up again but the heat pump would refuse to start for a couple more minutes. For example, at 6 cycles per hour with the stat's internal delay turned off, it might want to run the heat pump for 8 minutes out of every 10. When it shuts off after the 8th minute, there's only two minutes before the stat would tell the heat pump to start again. The heat pump will refuse to start until it's been off for 4-5 minutes, though, so you would have 2-3 minutes of fan operation before the heat pump started up again. In practice, the redundant delays are probably better, because it will actually keep the stat and outdoor unit in better synch. They'll both be delaying at the same times. Also all compressor-driven stages (air conditioning or heat pump heating) should be driven at 3 cycles per hour.

Originally posted by arpa
    So why ask?
    So someone could point out the error to my contractor, if an error exists.
    If your contractor doesn't know, find another contractor or direct them to HVAC-Talk.

This is not a DIY site!

<<<Thread Closed>>>