Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trane Arkansas

Trane Arkansas

They are looking for new techs someone out of school i am have two years exp and went to school. This is for commercial service its union and i would have to ride with some one till i can prove myself. right now i am a service tech and have my own van where i work?.. Question is would this be a good move and better pay. and would union be better to work for and anything else anyone can tell me please go ahead and let me know what you have to say..

would be a great move doing new start ups no installations the fitter side would handle it along with the other trades.you'll be out in a truck before spring don't worry about it...the latest equipment from self-contained to rooftops,chillers both water cooled and air cooled...factory school .union not chaseing people down for raises,good bennies what union is down there
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

i dont know there is a few i think..I dont know alot about unions.Right now i got my own van work for a good size out fit in the town i live it but pay here isnt the best. They want a apprentice and i guess i still am one since two years of work and one year school. I am guessing all i would work on is Trane products.

probably 99% Trane stuff but the benny is other contractors are going to call for servcie warrenty or not when yo get familiar with certain stuf.then you'll be standing next to techs from the old place and ll the ones around your area.giving up the contractors and stepping over to an OEM brand is differnet representing a brands image..you walk in your are TRANE the truck will happen trane doesn't run pairs in trucks,they need cowboys out doing start-ups and warrenty work one man shows..if thats your cut they only show one local down there..give them a call they'll tell you http://www.ua155.org/ get hired get into uion school once a week and get payed for it.after 45 days (typical) your in s long as you haven't killed somebody within that time...shop has no say going in they have to give you a card.the question is what re you going in as an apprentice 2nd yr 3rd yr

So with my experience I could get payed better and I don't want to go back to school I just got out of a school here locally for hvac.

have to go to union school to qualify for raises and changes to get you into the journeymen level.their training is totally hands on and will only tweek what you had in outside.

wow so my 60 credit hours dont mean anything to the union???

That depends on the following...
    1. The particular union you are applying to
    2. The interviewer
    3. The direction the wind is blowing that day
    4. How you score on a placement test
    5. How good you are at selling yourself and your skills without blowing smoke. Anyone who has any significant time in the trades can spot a fraud from a mile away.
    Either way, it would definitely be a good move for you if you can get in.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

they wouldn't care if you had 60 yrs in the trade,they might give you a test to determine what you go in as or stagnate you thru the apprentice program for 4 years into journeyman...like getting on a line.that's why the moves better now,take the hit on your school credit hours and dive into the union.the company hiring you as Trane will look at the school but the union won't.Trane has to be union to get onto jobs and touch the equipment.in the spring Trane does a nation wide hiring thru all their offices this spring will be no different...unless you go into Trane as a journeyman you have to go to the school,its only one day a week then your back in the field doing stuff..if you take a good test you'll blow thru it.. just stuff to consider.i went into Trane NYC back in 86' with 10 years of commercial experience i thought i went to "hog heaven" !constant new equipment start-ups...contractor meetings....factorysupport/IOM manuals... talking to the engineers about there equipment on job site problems....it's awesome the summers fly by

dang gotta take a test didnt know that sorry i dont know alot about unions.i can see where it would be. but i am scared since out of school and been here where i am at almost a year was working part time at a small mom and pop shop while in school. if i don't like i and the way the economy is now days making a change can be hard if it doesn't pan out

So make the move, and make sure it works out positively. Do whatever it takes. I'd bet you won't regret it.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

so you go into the union as an apprentice,and in the school your bored cruise thru it,or your saying that 60hrs was nothing compared to working 4 days and school one day...with Trane.you could always go out of Trane after 5 years and go union contractor "the offers will be there" believe me.stay with mom and pop for 5 years you may never make a move because your the lead guy or install wizard..once you get into installs you'll never make the move installs are unioned up above 50 tons.no matter what or where you go the money isn't going to kick in till you have 10 years or more in the field..union raises go by 3 year contracts up here pension righ tnow is $4.50 for every hour you work not touched till your 65..pop drops dead your 5 years with nothing but your tools and whatever they worked on..Trane you'll assist on start-ups repairs warrentyy work jobs with 500tons of rooftops,2000 tons of chillers and deal with contractors and project managers...fun meetings.... did this start-up for Trane back in 96' had 20yrs in the field 10 with Trane job just rolled along 2500 tons of rooftops drove the service truck right up onto the roof

until you retire your always going to be tested in this industry..customer problems,jobs that went bad on repairs,covering other techs who might of missed something.do you say something or not,people constantly coming into the field and re inventing it(not happening),do you move p into supervision?sales/project mgr or stay being the company wizard..on and on.if you don't go union one thing is real you will be constanly be battling for more money per hour with owners...once your a journeyman new trucks,vacations,what's in my pension,lead jobs.your always learning and going to school and looking to do the right thing...will be interested in the spring/summer to see what you did

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast