Hello,
    I have posted before and been quite thankful for your input. We have received some price estimates from one of our local A/C people. They sell only "American Standard"

The problem with our current system is the coil is leaking in the Air Handler. (we also have a non-traditional size filter and have to buy the ones we cut to size) The coil is still available. We have the Goodman A24-10 air handler and outside a Goodman CK24. The system is from 1997 and we are in a coastal rust prone area.

That background given here are the OPTIONS the gentleman has given us.

Option 1: Coil Replacement
    Option 2: Install New, Larger Air Handler and return air grill. They will put in a traditional size return and A High Efficiancy American Standard with 10 year parts and labor warrenty (we are military and moving in 2 years...hmm): EEKES.. Price wise

Option 3: Same as Option 2 adding a new larger high efficiency unit outside as well by American Standard same warrenty... Double eekes

Or how about a 4th option: just refilling the freon yearly.

We don't necessarily want to go the cheapest way. We realize our 2 ton, 10 SEER seems to run alot with our 860 sqft and 8 single paned crappy windows. And we know the High efficiency will help with electric bills. And we think the warrenty may be a good selling point on the house in 2 years... but the price seems extremely high for just an air handler.

Anyway I have probably given you more information than you need. What is your opinion of American standard and our options? Are we getting shafted? Also is a coil something my pretty handy hubby (capable, but not advanced when it comes to fixing things) could replace and order on his own?

Thanks again.
    LOST in A/C Land

[Edited by primeaux on 04-17-2006 at 01:26 PM]

if you are staying only 2 years it may not pay to get a new unit . it could help resell of house $ look ok

Hi, first off forum rules don't allow us to discuss prices.

In my opinon, if your moving in two years and the unit can hold the charge for a year, just add the freon to you move.

How bad is it leaking?If it's a pound a year, and you'll be moving soon, just keep adding. When you sell, be sure to disclose this. A new system will make the value of your house go up,but that's negotiable anyways. DO NOT repair the inside coil. As soon as you do, the outside unit will develope a leak in your corrosive environment and you're back to square one. So my advise is, gas it up if leak isn't bad,or new system.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

oops

Whoops..So sorry about the prices. I should have read the rules better. Thank you for your input. I'll see if I can edit them out.

leak

We bought the house a year ago May. I believe we put in 2lbs of freon this year. I don't know when it was last filled if ever. THat doesn't help much I know.

Can I ask for some recommended economical high efficiency brands of systems. I see "american standard" and trane are the same parent company.

Is there a spot on the Hvac talk site to submit for residential bids. I didn't see anyone on the find a contractor list in our area. But everyone on the forum has been very helpful and we would love to consider utilizing someone from the forum located in the Galveston/Houston area.

2 lbs is alot on a 2 ton system. Before you go spending the big bucks, I'll ask you if this was a company referred to you by someone or a yellow pages one? First off I'd run it till it's low on freon again,you might be moved by that time. Second, if this was a reputable contractor,and you want a new system, go with another Goodman. The warranties will last longer than you'll be there, and you have a small system,2 tons. Maybe Mrbillpro or someone close to your area can give you a second opinion.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Yellow pages

Our experience with the first company we were referred too was one of waiting and waiting and never getting contacted that they could not make it that day. (twice this happened, but perhaps we should have stuck with them)It was frustrating and so we turned to the yellow pages.

This company was the third my husband contacted through the yellow pages. And the one where he actually got to speak with a live human rather than a machine, and that is how we found them.

We have been impressed with their courteous and timely techs and ability to get our system up and running (replaced a capacitor outside and filled freon inside.) However, we also don't want to be shanghied into using only a certain brand or replacing a system that doesn't need it.

Re: Yellow pages

Originally posted by primeaux
    Our experience with the first company we were referred too was one of waiting and waiting and never getting contacted that they could not make it that day. (twice this happened, but perhaps we should have stuck with them)It was frustrating and so we turned to the yellow pages.

This company was the third my husband contacted through the yellow pages. And the one where he actually got to speak with a live human rather than a machine, and that is how we found them.

We have been impressed with their courteous and timely techs and ability to get our system up and running (replaced a capacitor outside and filled freon inside.) However, we also don't want to be shanghied into using only a certain brand or replacing a system that doesn't need it.
    Just wait and see what happens. If the sytem needs to have refrigerant added once or even twice a year until you move your still ok in my book.

You do not want to find yourself without A/C on the warmest day of the summer. But then again it will not be in your best interest to invest in a high eff. system. I doubt that the unit needs to be any larger that what it currently is ( do a load cal. just do be sure), so your best bet is to have the coil replaced and have the unit fully serviced. It is possible that the has not been coil at its full capacity because it has been low on gas.