Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Re: Excuse Me?!

Originally posted by deejoe
    Originally posted by dan sw fl
    ]... sounds like a Real Oxymoron
    That is, Hi Velocity & Energy Savings

oxymoron ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ks-mrn, -mr-)
    n. pl.
    oxymora (-mr, -mr)
    or oxymorons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in
    a deafening silence
    and
    a mournful optimist.
    The above is another perfectly incorrect analysis from an ill informed poster. [/B]
    klkpro,

deejoe should somehow be able to provide all the
    independent specifications and test data necessary to
    convince Everyone that
    Hi Velocity systems are real energy savers.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by BobbyBJr
    You guys that install the high velocity Unico systems, what outdoor units do you match with these units? We have several developments locally that are all split level with old Space-pac systems. Over the years, we have replaced a few and tried Trane, Carrier and Goodman outdoor units and it is a crap shoot. One might run fine while the one down the street is a constant headache.

Bobby
    Check the static pressure. The ones that don't work well might be low air flow. Due to the supplies being long, and not enough of them to make up for the length.

Yep, HV systems are expensive.

So are Jaguars, but there is a market for them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    1. You guys that install the high velocity Unico systems, what outdoor units do you match with these units?

... all split level with old Space-pac systems.

Over the years, we have replaced a few and tried Trane, Carrier and Goodman outdoor units and it is a crap shoot. One might run fine while the one down the street is a constant headache.

Bobby
    Check the static pressure. The ones that don't work well might be low air flow. Due to the supplies being long, and not enough of them to make up for the length.

1. You SIMPLY DO NOT Expect to consistently achieve a Good Match as you have discovered
    without knowing the Unico coil specifications.

If you have driven a Jaquar for two decades
    and you switch to a Chevy, OF COURSE,
    one will have CONSTANT HI-VEL HeadACHES.

In addition, one would not Realistically expect a
    HI Velocity blower to be replaced
    at the time as a condenser replacement
    _and_ operate close to satisfactorily
    with anything but an air handler that
    provides the same E.S.P.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I am surprised by your experience with these systems. Their use may depend on the location and age of houses in the area. I am in the Philadelphia area surrounded by homes 75-150 years old. Mine is 80 years old. I have two Unico Zones. A conventional system would have required great disturbance, soffits and repairs. I got three conventional and two Unico quotes. In my case the HV system installation was lowest cost! The system was installed quickly. It is completely unobtrusive with all ceiling openings installed at or near in corners. The compressors (3 & 2 ton) are by carrier. The systems are quiet, provide high dehumidification and have completely changed my enjoyment of my home. For the record my heating system is hydronic with high mass cast iron radiators.

The key may be an experienced installer. My contractor has installed many (perhaps hundreds) of these systems. This includes two happy friends after they witnessed/experienced our system.

[Edited by lynnwill on 04-19-2006 at 11:56 PM]

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by beenthere
    1. You guys that install the high velocity Unico systems, what outdoor units do you match with these units?

... all split level with old Space-pac systems.

Over the years, we have replaced a few and tried Trane, Carrier and Goodman outdoor units and it is a crap shoot. One might run fine while the one down the street is a constant headache.

Bobby

1. You SIMPLY DO NOT Expect to consistently achieve a Good Match as you have discovered
    without knowing the Unico coil specifications.

If you have driven a Jaquar for two decades
    and you switch to a Chevy, OF COURSE,
    one will have CONSTANT HI-VEL HeadACHES.

In addition, one would not Realistically expect a
    HI Velocity blower to be replaced
    at the time as a condenser replacement
    _and_ operate close to satisfactorily
    with anything but an air handler that
    provides the same E.S.P.
    When we replace one of the old Space-paks, we use the Unico air handler and whatever condenser the estimator can get the best deal on that week. At least, that is the way it seems. I have had good luck with Trane outdoor units, but some have been a pain in the rearend. Was just wondering what some of you that install them are using? I do measure the static and the air flow too, but I have never had any HV training and once I gather the info, it don't tell me alot.

Bobby

What static readings are you getting.

When swapping out an old unit, you some times have to add an ouotlet or 2.

The old systems were 5 outlets per ton, the new ones are 6 per ton.

What kind of problems are you having.

Used York, Carrier, etc, and haven't had touble.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Philadelphia contractor?

Lynnwill - Like you, I'm in the Philadelphia area in an older home with plaster walls, cast iron radiators, and am looking to install probably a HV system due to installation issues with conventional. Who was your contractor?

Regards,
    Coy

Quote Originally Posted by ;1080680
    I am surprised by your experience with these systems. Their use may depend on the location and age of houses in the area. I am in the Philadelphia area surrounded by homes 75-150 years old. Mine is 80 years old. I have two Unico Zones. A conventional system would have required great disturbance, soffits and repairs. I got three conventional and two Unico quotes. In my case the HV system installation was lowest cost! The system was installed quickly. It is completely unobtrusive with all ceiling openings installed at or near in corners. The compressors (3 & 2 ton) are by carrier. The systems are quiet, provide high dehumidification and have completely changed my enjoyment of my home. For the record my heating system is hydronic with high mass cast iron radiators.

The key may be an experienced installer. My contractor has installed many (perhaps hundreds) of these systems. This includes two happy friends after they witnessed/experienced our system.

[Edited by lynnwill on 04-19-2006 at 11:56 PM]

Philadelphia Installer

We went with Unique indoor Comfort. www.phillyunique.com
    The best installation deals are in the Winter

Good luck

we have installed a couple dozen ESP HI-V's after figuring out the proper setup of the TXV's I am happy with them, and I sure as heck guarantee we would have charged $$$$ more for conventional on the homes we did. I will say when at all possible install the air handler in a closet or basement not the attic, the attic installs are the only ones we have issues with, plus all the adjustments and readings are done at the indoor unit. We use trane condensers, they are now selling the hi-v for 410a also I think.

I do think most of our installs were a bit louder than Iwould like but we installed by the book for outlets. I think the 12x12 return grill is part of the problem
    You can't fix stupid

Spacepak installation equipment problems

We recently had 2 spacepak systems installed with Lennox xp-19 heat pumps. We have had consistant problems and the installing company has abandoned us. I now have a installer trying to correct the problems. He has added additional ducts to lower the static pressure. One issue is the condensors shutting down. He has not has any expierence with Spacepak and his issue that the 19 seer is sending too much liquid into the a-coil(which has 3/4" outlets) The supply line coming from the condenser is 11/4".
    Has anyone ran into this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ferco View Post
    We recently had 2 spacepak systems installed with Lennox xp-19 heat pumps. We have had consistant problems and the installing company has abandoned us. I now have a installer trying to correct the problems. He has added additional ducts to lower the static pressure. One issue is the condensors shutting down. He has not has any expierence with Spacepak and his issue that the 19 seer is sending too much liquid into the a-coil(which has 3/4" outlets) The supply line coming from the condenser is 11/4".
    Has anyone ran into this issue?
    never installed a heatpump on a hi-v so suction line side of acoil is 3/4 with 1 1/4 coming from condenser, is the spacepak designed for that size condenser or is your indoor coil too small, what kind of metering device is being used, the adjustable txv's on a energy saving products Hi-V need to be tuned in on every job, would you have to readjust the outdoor one for heat mode? I would be leary of using a heat pump on a Hi -V.
    You can't fix stupid

You all need to look at Espi Tech llc. They offer Velocity Plus in 2-5 ton ratings all 13 seer and 300cfm/ton. The entire system is r8, pre drilled and NO sound attenuation. They also offer a 3 inch system that is 1/3 the cost of 2 inch and a very unique air disribution box that simplifies install. It is a better design and they did meet the 13 seer level.

Did a 3 ton heat pump on m neighbors unico. Used a Heil 2.5 ton condenser on a 3 ton air handler, never had a problem yet. (2.5 years)
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast