Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am looking for oppinions regaurding SDHV systems including build quality, manufacture support, and ease of installation, for both the air handlers and the ducting systems. I have read many of the historical threads and haven't seen many entries regaurding Energy Saving Products LTD Hi Velocity systems. I was also wondering if anyone knows why Spacepak round duct was discontinued. Any input would be apreciated.

Excuse Me?!

Originally posted by klkpro
    I have read many of the historical threads and haven't seen many entries regarding Energy Saving Products LTD Hi Velocity systems. ... Any input would be apreciated.
    ... sounds like a Real Oxymoron
    That is, Hi Velocity & Energy Savings

oxymoron ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ks-mrn, -mr-)
    n. pl.
    oxymora (-mr, -mr)
    or oxymorons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in
    a deafening silence
    and
    a mournful optimist.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

11 SEER

I am looking for oppinions regaurding SDHV systems including build quality, manufacture support, and ease of installation, for both the air handlers and the ducting systems. I have read many of the historical threads and haven't seen many entries regaurding Energy Saving Products LTD Hi Velocity systems. I was also wondering if anyone knows why Spacepak round duct was discontinued. Any input would be apreciated.
    I've learned that High Velocity systems are less efficient and installation costs are normally higher. As a matter of fact, Spacepak and Unico, the major players of the SDHV market, got a special relief from Uncle Sam so that they don't have to comply with the new 13 SEER requirement. They commit to 11 SEER.

As regards Unico...

Ridiculously expensive. Plan on paying close to double just for the air moving equipment...no heat or cooling source. Must buy a boiler or heat pump or go with resistance heat...chiller or condenser for cooling...all extra.

Proprietary equipment and materials. The only thing you can buy from a normal parts source is the trunkline. All branchlines, connectors, outlets/covers, etc. are available only from Unico.

Don't work as advertised...usually require more outlets than their design manual indicates. This is especially true in my area (high altitude).

Floor outlets are a joke. Kids use them to drop things into...best story I have heard so far is drunken college kids using them for a miniature golf course.

One of their claims to fame is that they preserve the architecture of existing homes...sure. Return air outlet is standard size so no help there. How do you keep a room looking undisturbed when it must be filled with lots and losts of 2" holes?

I would put one in only under protest if at all.

I was also wondering if anyone knows why Spacepak round duct was discontinued. Any input would be apreciated.
    Because the plant that manufactured it for them burnt down, and wasn't rebuilt.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unico Endorsement

Originally posted by trapeze
    As regards Unico...

Ridiculously expensive. Plan on paying close to double just for the air moving equipment...no heat or cooling source.

Don't work as advertised...usually require more outlets than their design manual indicates. This is especially true in my area (high altitude).

Floor outlets are a joke. ...

One of their claims to fame is that they preserve the architecture of existing homes...sure.

I would put one in only under protest if at all.
    Trapeze, Thanks for your fine endorsement.

klkpro,

I guess you have been forewarned that
    installation of Hi-Vel system is somewhat difficult
    and cost/operation is MUCH Less than optimum. ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I don't think the company you mention even submits their products to ARI. If you go HV and they have their place, I'd stay with Unico or Space Pak who have been around a long time with good support and ARI ratings.

Re: Excuse Me?!

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    ]

... sounds like a Real Oxymoron
    That is, Hi Velocity & Energy Savings

oxymoron ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ks-mrn, -mr-)
    n. pl.
    oxymora (-mr, -mr)
    or oxymorons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in
    a deafening silence
    and
    a mournful optimist. [/B]
    The above is another perfectly incorrect analysis from an ill informed poster.

I have only installed Unico systems. They work great when you are instructed properly on how to install them. When the outlets are located in the floor, there are excessory screens to prevent objects from falling in. They are quiet and work well here in MI. No complaints. I have installed them in several historical buildings including buildings for the Troy historical society. The 2 in. holes are located in corners or in areas that are away from traffic. The outlets are available in different colors as well as wood and do not stand out. They also work well with heating coils if you have a boiler.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Originally posted by trapeze
    As regards Unico...

[u]

I can see where a high alltitude area would need more outlets then the book says.

We're not a high alltitude area, but if it says 15 full outlets, and we install the equivilent of 15 full outlets we never have a problem.

Some people miss the part that says full outlets.

One of their claims to fame is that they preserve the architecture of existing homes...sure. Return air outlet is standard size so no help there. How do you keep a room looking undisturbed when it must be filled with lots and losts of 2" holes?

Paint the outlets to mactch the room.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In my experience, Unico is a standup company all around.

You guys that install the high velocity Unico systems, what outdoor units do you match with these units? We have several developments locally that are all split level with old Space-pac systems. Over the years, we have replaced a few and tried Trane, Carrier and Goodman outdoor units and it is a crap shoot. One might run fine while the one down the street is a constant headache.

Bobby

Haven't heard anyone dispute the "ridiculously expensive" part yet...not holding my breath either.

I have successfully installed several of the Unico units so I do know a little bit about what I am saying. I received the Unico factory training...got the certificate, the arm patch and everything. Yippee.

We were told by the Unico trainer that we would need to install one extra full outlet per ton at altitude. Wrong. Two extra is pushing it. Three works well. Unfortunately that little discrepancy will bust the budget at their prices.

Anyway...if this concept was all that great the fact is that it would be copied by everyone in the industry. There would be more than just two major players in the market. As I said before, I will install one only under protest. That means that there must be an overiding reason why only a high velocity product is the answer to my customer's needs. With all of its shortcomings, I can't imagine trying to put this product up against traditional forced air products on a daily basis.

Just my opinion, mind you, but I am sticking to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast