Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First, thanks to all for your help in the past

Via advice on this forum I am improving my home for eventual purchase of a new AC/heat pump. Working on the house (better attic venting, more insulation (R-38 now), solar screens, indoor storm windows, caulking, etc.) has made a significant difference. I am in West Texas and we are expected to get to 96 today and 98 tommorrow and it's just April!!!

But, I wanted to ask a heat pump question. I know about the primary value of a good install. If you read this site and don't get that, you shouldn't be allowed to drive or operate machinery. I really don't want to ask about brand but it may be inevitable. My question is who DESIGNS the best or better heat pumps. I read that in the old days GE stuck with and "perfected" heat pumps, and then sold out to Trane/AS. I don't have to purchase the very best, but I would like to know who designs good, solid, durable long-lasting heat pumps. I'm just asking about the heat pump component, not air handler, controls, etc.

thanks,
    jb

just read other posts herein --
    the biggest factor is the install --
    all brands have good & bad track records --
    one should get better life from top- of- the- line units --

think shade!!!

did you caulk all wall seams?
    did you caulk all trim edges?
    why not?

slab | crawl | bsmt outside insulated to below frost line?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

thanks,cem-bsee

It was one of your replies to my request for information on an earlier thread that got me going on the house. I should have said that I am caulking and will continue to caulk. I have a non-bearing Mulberry tree which helps shade some of the house from the West sun. We call it a Texas weed because it is huge, not very sightly and grows rapidly, but it does shade well so it stays.

jb

You'll get at least 1 vote for each brand on the market as to who is best and longest lasting. Key is best install, proper size, keep it clean as a whistle and get a long warranty!

thanks, BaldLoonie

I do understand that all of the points that you mentioned are the key ones and that choice of design/brand is secondary.

jb

I'm kind of partial to Trane. As long as you stay away from the XB line, and TWG air handlers, Trane systems tend to perform better in conditions that are harsher than the ARI conditions than most other manufacturers systems, especially the lower cost brands.
    This is true for several brands though, and is all dependant on equipment matchups.

The most important thing by far is finding a contractor that will do proper load calculations, duct system design and equipment selection based on the load calculations and the actual performance of the equipment at the ACCA design conditions for your area.

Many systems that have ARI ratings that look really good with the indoor and outdoor conditions ARI uses, but perform rather poorly, compaired to others, at the actual design conditions in hoter climates.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks Mark,

I have looked at your website and see that your in the Metroplex. I am about 150 miles West of you. I have read some of your posts about finding the right equipment for harsher environments like ours. I do know that install is of primary importance and do have a relationship with a good HVAC company here. But, I thought that in the heat pump area, there might be a little more expertise in design from some companies over others. But, I also know that bringing up the subject of brands is problematic. And I think I understand why the pros of this site resist talking about it to homeowners. I have an old system that is actually running well, but you never know. The compressor could go in July and I want to be ready with the knowledge I need.

take care,
    jb

Trane /American Standard Heat Pumps

1) Duriable
    2)Warranty
    3)Quality from factory
    4)Long lasting cabinet
    5)Good compressor
    6)Well design defrost control

I could go on but you get the picture.I am no longer selling Am.Std. as the company I work for now uses Carrier and they also have a good product.

But, the number of years I have sold and serviced equipment I would vote for American Standard.

<<<<Aircooled>>>>>
    Fort Worth,Texas Neighbor-
    -Saginaw,Texas
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

thanks aircooled53,
    I have electric strips presently. With our electric rates (.20/kw last month), I need to change. I have switched electric providers just last week, but it's still expensive. In our community well-known brands like Carrier, Trane/AS and Rheem/Ruud will be represented and supported. I know I can get a good install from contractors who represent them. Other brands are here but installation quality might be a little iffy. Maybe? I talked to a contractor last week whose primary brand is Ruud but was adding Bryant due to equipment availability issues.
    As I write the AC is running as the 5-6 month cooling season begins. Presently, my compressor gets a rest in the winter. With a heat pump, it won't. I know they are made to run but still the issue of durability is important to me. I also know that the primary issues are proper sizing and installation, maintenance, etc. But, I still have to believe that brand/designs or models within brands have to make a little difference.

thanks again,
    jb

A/S Trane look at the 16 seer 2 stage cost more but well worth the muiti capacity and comfort

thanks gas1,
    I read of postings from pros up North who question the value of higher SEER equipment given their cooling requirements. I understand that in their locale. But, when you combine our electric rates in Texas with the number of cooling hours we have, I think a good case can be made for the long-term value of higher SEER equipment. My old Ruud condenser is purring away as I type. It was 8 SEER when new. Probably not now. I will look at that model.

jb

trane or carrier. tranes condenser coils are extremely hard to clean and keep clean thus will probably over the life of the unit be less efficient because the coils are going to stay dirtier.

Thumbs up Gnerally, I'd say ...

Originally posted by jdb52
    First, thanks to all for your help in the past

I really don't want to ask about brand but it may be inevitable.

My question is who DESIGNS the best or better heat pumps.

I read that in the old days GE stuck with and "perfected" heat pumps, and then sold out to Trane/AS.

I don't have to purchase the very best, but I would like to know who designs good, solid, durable long-lasting heat pumps. I'm just asking about the heat pump component, not air handler, controls, etc.
    Copeland

http://www.copeland-corp.com/cp_rf/p...oll_reliab.htm

NO Rheem/Ruud,
    IF one is near the coast!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast