I had a call about a position in Clearwater, Florida..anyone from there and can tell me a little about the area and the work that's going on there?

I like it there, nice vacation spot.
    http://www.shephards.com/

Cool

Things are fairly busy as summer (80+ Temp/ 80% Humidity)is coming in the next two weeks. Refrigeration is always busy because of a lack of experienced service Tech.. Cost of living not too bad. Great place to live in the winter (70 temp/ 50% Humidity).
    It has beeen a slow winter, but expecting a busy summer. Come on Down..
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]merken1[/FONT]

Well, I've accepted the position in Clearwater and look forward to starting down there later this month. Anyone here from the Clearwater area can give me some tips about the area and the schools. I may even want to live outside of Clearwater and commute. Any suggestions?

We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Hello,
    Welcome to the west coast of the east coast. As previously mentioned, Shep's got a killer seafood buffet.
    I have lived and worked in St. Pete for about 20 years. Just to give you a bit of a reality shot. This place is great if you like being around lots of people from lots of different places. There are more A/C contractors per sq. mile than any other place in the country. This = JOB SECURITY....lol. You will never have a problem finding a job here. Heat pump knowledge is a must. Gas is around but not very prevelant. There are LOTS of hax so if you are good at what you do, you will ALWAYS be in demand.

Property values have skyrocketed around here in the past 5 years. In Pinellas county, expect to be looking at 200-250K for a decent 3-2@1500 Sq.Ft. A 1000Sq.Ft. 2-1 can be had for 150-200K. As far as a commute, try and position yourself somewhere that doesnt make you dependent on either US19 or Ulmerton Rd. These are abortions and will dramatically increase aggrivation levels....lol.

Summers here in Pinellas county are cooler than the surrounding inland areas. Summer you can expect around 92-94 deg. in the upper humidity levels of 80% +. Nightime usually hovers in the high 70's and 80's with high humidity. We have had another dry spell this year. We are well under normal rainfall amounts right now. Expect to have to deal with watering restrictions and other BS. Also, we are in a hurricane upswing now and probably will be for a few years to come. The good news is there is something about our little area here that keeps us safe from the heavy action. Pinellas county has been spared for a long time from any major devistation. The last big deal was Alena and the last direct hit I can remember was Tropical Storm Keith in 1989 that came ashore on St. Pete Beach. Just be prepared and get your plywood early. Also, stock lots of water and canned food. Folks down here have become VERY complacent due to the numerous close calls in the past.

Thats about all I can think of right at the moment. Oh yeah, you asked about the schools. I dont have any kids so I cant comment and dont want to give any bad info. Hopefully someone with more inside info on it will comment.

Another bit of info that might help you out. Finding supply houses in a new area can be a pain. In Clearwater, a nice little cluster of PH's are in an industrial area called Weaver Park. This is located in a square between Belcher Rd, Sunset Point, Hercules, and Drew St. If you are in St. Pete look for an area called Joe's Creek. It is in a square between 28th St., US19, 46th Ave and 44th Ave. Mostly along 44th Ave.

49th St., south of Ulmerton Rd and north of the 49th st/US19 junction is a nice little sweet spot for lots of supply houses as well. Around there you will find Totaline, Grainger, Johnstone Supply (the best one around IMHO), Victor Distributing, Pinellas Fastener, Consolidated Electric and Hughes Supply.

Good luck with the new job and welcome to the Suncoast!!!

l8r

Thanks for the info. I'm originally from an area just north of Atlanta, so I'm used to traffic. I was thinking of looking into the New Port Richey area, my office is in Clearwater, so it will be a bit of a commute, but I do like the schools in that area. I'm being hired in as a V.P. and I like to get involved in what happens out in the field, so it can help me to do my job more effeciently. I worked my way up through the business and find that alot of the management type people that have not 'paid their dues' generally don't do as well in their position. So the info on the supply houses will come in handy and I appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to move and can't wait to get started. I start on May 8. Thanks again for the info.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What part of the industry willyou be working in,if you don't mind the question.

FYI,we have an HVAC sop in New Port Richey.