Hi
    I live in the Boston area, where the A/C season is relatively short about two months. But when its hot its hot! ;-) Im checking with contractors for a new central A/C system for my home and did some reading.

I read a review by Consumer Search here http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...fullstory.html . Id like to have at least 15 SEER and I also like the two stage idea. (Any comments about these preferences, coming from a totally "green" newbie?) The review recommends three systems that fit these specs. The top of the line is the Carrier Infinity 18, and than come Amanas 16 SEER RSG Ultron and Bryant Two-Speed Puron Plus 598B. All these units use Puron. The Carrier seems to have many bells and whistles but it costs $2000 more than the Bryant and $2300 more than the Amana. Plus, the Amana comes with a lifetime warranty. In addition, the review mentions that the Amana uses a scroll compressor which is quieter and has less repairs. (I assume the quoted prices in the review are for the condenser only, but Im not sure.)

All things considered, which unit should I get?

Also, normally, do most contractors offer just one brand with which they are familiar with, or do they offer a few brands? My first quote is due soon and by then Ill know the heath load. The estimator mentioned only Carrier. At this point I can provide these details about the house: A two story colonial with four bedrooms on the second floor and three rooms and a kitchen on the first floor. Total living area is about 1800 Sq ft plus a finished basement which is so far not included in the system.

All three units are excellent choices. You should know that Carrier and Bryant are one and the same. You could save yourself alot of money by going with Bryant. I am a Carrier dealer and the two speed units are nice with the infinity control (evolution for bryant). The real challenge is getting a good qualified installer, particularly with the R410a (Puron).What concerns me is that the shift to Puron for most manufactures is a new one with the exception of Carrier/Bryant who have been making Puron systems since 1995. Since the shift for most manufacturers is new, the dealers that sell/install the equipment have little knowledge and/or training with the Puron which can present a real problem. Make sure the company you choose have a good handle on the Puron, ask for references and check them. Hope this helps...

Dave in NJ

P.S. To answer your question, most contactors use more than one brand. But if they dont, dont hold it against them.

[Edited by smadave on 04-16-2006 at 12:10 AM]

2 stage units are good for lower temp days with high humidity.

As far as some brands not having their r410a systems out that long, neither did Carrier back in 96.

If your contrator is quality minded, it won't matter when his brand came out with their r410a system.

A hack can screw up any brand he installs.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If you are only using the AC for two month , you do not need to spend too much money on extra high seer, Even a 14 seer with variable speed airhandler will meet your cooling needs, and with where you live you do not two stage. Go with the Bryant, it uses a scroll compressor which is very quite, and make sure you get a varable speed airhandler. . Bryant is also offering a rebate for new units so ask your local dealer. Goodluck

[Edited by city on 04-16-2006 at 08:31 AM]

Amana has a lifetime unit replacement warranty. If the compressor ever fails on you, you will get an entire new unit, not just a compressor. Example, 20 years from now your compressor fails, you get a free compressor. Not a bad deal.

they're furnaces have a simmilar warranty.

Originally posted by city
    Go with the Bryant, it uses a scroll compressor which is very quite, and make sure you get a varable speed airhandler. .

[Edited by city on 04-16-2006 at 08:31 AM]
    I believe the Amana also uses a scroll compressor.

Couldn't believe the Amana warranty, went to http://www.amana-hac.com , products and warranty, the way I interperet the 5th paragraph seems so.

The Amana warranty is only for the original owner of the equipment as well as it is only on the top of the line unit. Other wise it is the 5 year warranty.

THis is not a bad pitch sincethe average person stay in a home 5-7 years they probably won't have to anti up too often.

The warranty also does not cover the service call, labor for installation, or the extra parts associated with the changeout.

always helps to read the fine print

"The warranty also does not cover the service call, labor for installation, or the extra parts associated with the changeout. always helps to read the fine print"
    Add that all together and it equals about the same amount as the replacement of a compressor under warranty. Whats the better value? $600 for a new compressor in a 10 year old unit or $700 for a brand new unit? It helps when your sales pitch truely is a good value. I would never recommend one of these units unless the homeowner plans on living in the house for at least 10 years.

Bryant uses a scroll? The OP singles out the 598B which most certainly does not use a scroll!

An 1800 sq ft home in a low cooling load hour area like Boston wouldn't economically justify high SEER 2 stage. If money is no object and you want bells & whistles, fine. On a more practical note, a standard 13 SEER would provide probably the best balance between operating costs and installed cost and handle Boston's humidity just fine.