Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    87

    Goodman warranties

    I was planning to buy a Goodman furnace on the net and have a licensed professional install it. I found Goodman's warranty on their web site, and was surprised to read the following, especially given all the distributors/dealers advertising their units on eBay with 'ten year warranty' and 'lifetime on heat exchanger':

    Neither warranty applies to, and no warranty is offered by Goodman on, any unit ordered over the Internet, by telephone or other electronic means unless the dealer selling the unit over the Internet, by telephone or other electronic means is also the installing contractor for the unit.
    1. How do they know?

    2. Does buying Goodcare fix the problem? Should I buy it from the seller or the installer? If the installer is a Goodcare dealer, he's probably going to want to sell me the unit too, which of course eliminates the problem, and also eliminates the savings of buying online.l

    3. What does Goodcare cost, can I get the ten year labor version on a GMH95 or GMVC95 for $xx, or would the price be $xxx?

    4. It looks like the standard warranty dies the minute you sell the house unless it's new construction and you're the builder. Is Goodcare transferable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,656
    Why would you want to purchase the unit on the net?

    Who is going to do the heat loss? Permits? and get warranty parts if needed.
    I do not think you will find the cost to have a contractor purchase and install it to be much different than going your direction. We ultimately sell 24 hour service, labor warranty, expert installations and pass equipment to the home owner. No manufacturer will honor warranty's for a self install, get some quotes from a local pro.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Why would you want to purchase the unit on the net?
    Because it's substantially cheaper that way than my installer's wholesale cost on a Gibson.

    No manufacturer will honor warranty's for a self install, get some quotes from a local pro.
    Who said anything about a self-install? The plan was for me to source the parts and my installer to file the warranty, until I found the wonderful warranty clause I quoted in the OP. The only local installer I know well enough to trust at this point is not a Goodman dealer.
    For details, I've been discussing the plan here for a few days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    I would use extreme caution buying equipment online. I would strongly suggest you get three diffrent quotes before you make a decision. And remember if you start having problems with your furnace your going to be paying for a service call whether or not it's under warranty. If you purchase the unit from a local contractor they usually cover labor and parts for the first year. I strongly recommend you purchase your equipment locally.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,652

    Confused

    I'll share a tidbit of info that I have firsthand with someone ordering a Goodman furnace online. They ordered a furnace in anticipation of their old one dying. It was 25 years old. They were going to have it installed by a licensed contractor, OH NO, it's the wrong furnace. We didn't know what we were ordering and got the wrong one. Oh well, we'll send it back and get the correct one. What??? We can't have our money back and get the correct one??? What to do? What??? I can buy another one off you? What do I do with the old one? I can do what with it, put it where? You bunch of ^%$*(&&% 's. Enter me. No I don't want the thing. You want to trade me for the correct furnace? Heaven's know, why would I do that? I can't do anything with it. It has no warranty, contrary to popular belief, you cannot warranty it at a supply house. They are lying to you if they tell you differently, I've tried. Besides, you paid more for it than I pay for mine. Put it on Craigslist. So, they bought a Bryant furnace off me with associated ductwork, coil, condenser, etc... I have no idea what they did with their old/new furnace.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I'll share a tidbit of info that I have firsthand with someone ordering a Goodman furnace online. They ordered a furnace in anticipation of their old one dying. It was 25 years old. They were going to have it installed by a licensed contractor, OH NO, it's the wrong furnace. We didn't know what we were ordering and got the wrong one. Oh well, we'll send it back and get the correct one. What??? We can't have our money back and get the correct one??? What to do? What??? I can buy another one off you? What do I do with the old one? I can do what with it, put it where? You bunch of ^%$*(&&% 's. Enter me. No I don't want the thing. You want to trade me for the correct furnace? Heaven's know, why would I do that? I can't do anything with it. It has no warranty, contrary to popular belief, you cannot warranty it at a supply house. They are lying to you if they tell you differently, I've tried. Besides, you paid more for it than I pay for mine. Put it on Craigslist. So, they bought a Bryant furnace off me with associated ductwork, coil, condenser, etc... I have no idea what they did with their old/new furnace.
    life and times of a cheapskate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zelienople, Pa
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeowner314 View Post
    I was planning to buy a Goodman furnace on the net and have a licensed professional install it. I found Goodman's warranty on their web site, and was surprised to read the following, especially given all the distributors/dealers advertising their units on eBay with 'ten year warranty' and 'lifetime on heat exchanger':



    1. How do they know?

    2. Does buying Goodcare fix the problem? Should I buy it from the seller or the installer? If the installer is a Goodcare dealer, he's probably going to want to sell me the unit too, which of course eliminates the problem, and also eliminates the savings of buying online.l

    3. What does Goodcare cost, can I get the ten year labor version on a GMH95 or GMVC95 for $xx, or would the price be $xxx?

    4. It looks like the standard warranty dies the minute you sell the house unless it's new construction and you're the builder. Is Goodcare transferable?


    1. If the unit's serial# is registered to a distributor in Fla. and you live in Maine, it's pretty much a given.

    2. They will not warranty a unit purchased off the net.

    3. Can't discuss pricing. It's in the site's rules you agreed to when registering.

    4. You will have NO WARRANTY to transfer with an internet purchase.

    * The manufacturer's are not advertising their units for sale on the net. Distributors buy them from the manufacturer, then try to sell them to cheap DIY'ers like yourself... This is why the internet purchase clause is in their warranty. The manufacturer knows that it will likely be improperly installed...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ripley, WV
    Posts
    1,333
    The thing with equipment bought online like that is the price is cheap because so is the equipment. That being said there is a high probability that it will cost you more in the long because of break downs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    When I worked for Goodman, I was able to turn down many direct purchased equipment for warranty. It is very easy to find out where the equipment was shipped to from Goodman as well as checking to see if a contractor provided the equipment or not.

    Essentially, the entity purchasing the equipment for installation is the entity responsible for the equipment warranty work. When a contractor buys equipment from their wholesaler to resell as an installed product, that contractor becomes the responsible entity for that equipment. If a HO buys the equipment from an alleged wholesaler via the Internet or elsewise, it is the HO who is now responsible for the warranty work.

    I have turned down many warranties due to HO direct purchase of equipment.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    2,029
    You said you only know one competent installer to put in your new furnace but why would they? If a customer calls me asking me to install equipment they purchased I hang up on them, they are trying to cut out how we as contractors make our money and usually the guy that buys the furnace online is the cheapest SOB around and never wants to pay when it's service time and will complain online about my install of his ****ty furnace.

    When a contractor installs online garbage they are not competent in any way shape or form.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    You said you only know one competent installer to put in your new furnace but why would they? If a customer calls me asking me to install equipment they purchased I hang up on them, they are trying to cut out how we as contractors make our money and usually the guy that buys the furnace online is the cheapest SOB around and never wants to pay when it's service time and will complain online about my install of his ****ty furnace.

    When a contractor installs online garbage they are not competent in any way shape or form.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Y
    When a contractor installs online garbage they are not competent in any way shape or form.
    Are you saying Goodman is garbage, or that it becomes garbage if it's purchased from an out of state vendor?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeowner314 View Post
    Are you saying Goodman is garbage, or that it becomes garbage if it's purchased from an out of state vendor?
    Its the same product whether its bought in your state or any other state. However, its not the product that really matters, its the installation and local product support. HVAC systems are NOT APPLIANCES. If you can save $20 buying the same refrigerator from lowes vs. homedepot then go for it. HVAC systems are custom integrated into your home by skilled tradesman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event