Tandem Circuits - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandem Circuits

Jayguys cool .no nonsense approach ,
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Get the York. Then wait on one component failure in the VSD to cause the entire chiller to be down for the count, and to have to mortgage your house to get it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Get the York. Then wait on one component failure in the VSD to cause the entire chiller to be down for the count, and to have to mortgage your house to get it repaired.
    I bet you would get a big kick out of that.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    I bet you would get a big kick out of that.
    I just call it like I see it. Even when I was at York, I had no use for the YCAV's because of the single drive/multi compressor issue. As Jay put it, even with redundant circuits, there are tons of things in a multiple circuit chiller that are non-redundant. Now they can't even spring for two contactors. And if you think they wanted a lot of money for a contactor..

Add to that the jci philosophy of "Once we get the machine on the ground, we've got you" where parts are concerned - it don't take a degree from MIT to figure out how this will turn out....

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    I just call it like I see it. Even when I was at York, I had no use for the YCAV's because of the single drive/multi compressor issue. As Jay put it, even with redundant circuits, there are tons of things in a multiple circuit chiller that are non-redundant. Now they can't even spring for two contactors. And if you think they wanted a lot of money for a contactor..

Add to that the jci philosophy of "Once we get the machine on the ground, we've got you" where parts are concerned - it don't take a degree from MIT to figure out how this will turn out....
    Sounds like captured customer syndrome. Yeah I've got a buddy running a data center with 3 YCIV's. Less than a year old and has lost 9 condenser fan motors. And York is not very loose with any info on that machine. He did his best to keep from getting them but the sales guy went over his head.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by jcistc View Post
    Trane has no VSD , but there are two venders offering the same. My least load was calculated as 95-100 TR.

So again the same problem . 200 * 2 dual circuit or no ?

trane dual circuit offering no VSD , york offering 200 * 2 single circuit VSD for starter and slide valve and a local vender offering 200 * 2 single circuit and VSD only for starter .

Now, for base load of 100 Tr - trane looks best , but VSD option is not bad . So is going for single circuit that bad as trane says ? How would you rate VSD vs dual ref circuits ?
    no, your smallest load is near 0 tons. don't forget what happens when the process shuts down for the weekend and nobody goes out and turns the chiller off. i used to work on one chiller that had over 100k starts in about 5 years because nobody wanted to wire the process load to the chiller or the BAS. so the chiller sits there at idle most of the time...and they wonder why they have had 3 compressors go out in it already on one circuit alone...

what does down time cost per hour? do you want to have the talk with the CFO now or get yelled at by the CFO later when the down time exceeds the cost of a second chiller?
    You either love bacon or you are wrong.

4 gallons of gas, 2 miles of travel, teaching my daughters how to drive in the high school parking lot...priceless!

it is an industrial application. The min load is about 100 and not less. Weekends are not off days. It will work 24 * 7 for pharma application and the load goes down to 100 Tr for the night shift.

Now there is a new twist . 200 * 2 was initially decided and i'll admit the deal was going in favour of trane. Now york says if its gonna be 24*7 app, go for 300 and 100 config. Trane does not give 2 circuits for 300 TR But york does. So said to the trane sales guy , if he was pushing for dual circuits so hard and now he says he can't give the same in 300 TR capacity where is the logic in that? His ans was that york talked me into 300 -100 config just to push trane out !

Can't trust any of these folks . Vultures!

Making a choice is damned hard. Their job is done once they sell their chiller ; then its my headache.

it is an industrial application. The min load is about 100 and not less. Weekends are not off days. It will work 24 * 7 for pharma application and the load goes down to 100 Tr for the night shift.

Now there is a new twist . 200 * 2 was initially decided and i'll admit the deal was going in favour of trane. Now york says if its gonna be 24*7 app, go for 300 and 100 config. Trane does not give 2 circuits for 300 TR But york does. So said to the trane sales guy , if he was pushing for dual circuits so hard and now he says he can't give the same in 300 TR capacity where is the logic in that? His ans was that york talked me into 300 -100 config just to push trane out !

Can't trust any of these folks . Vultures!

Making a choice is damned hard. Their job is done once they sell their chiller ; then its my headache.

Just out of curiosity does the York have a VSD?
    UA 100

... Making a choice is damned hard. Their job is done once they sell their chiller ; then its my headache.
    he is catching on!
    You either love bacon or you are wrong.

4 gallons of gas, 2 miles of travel, teaching my daughters how to drive in the high school parking lot...priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Just out of curiosity does the York have a VSD?

Yes . The models are Yr and YVWA .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12