+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 years in the business and never seen this hack job

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    I love finding stuff like that. Looks like a perfect candidate for a new system. I wouldn't even consider trying to make that thing "work." That's not even a possibility.

I found one last fall, about a 3 year old Arcoaire system. Furnace was installed with a R22 coil w/txv. They must have set the OD later and realized it was a 410a unit. They had just dumped the r410a and put in r22. Friggin idiot hacks.

All they would have had to do is swap the indoor txv and it would have been good to go. I offered to do that for them, but explained it's probably too late to save it anyway. We replaced the whole system.

From my math, ignoring the oil compatibility issues, that should have left the system with about 70% of its original cooling capacity, and an underloaded compressor motor, ouch.

From the Samsung rotary compressor site I am seeing about a 742 BTU/h per CC per revolution for R22 but about 1037 BTU/hr per CC per rev for R410a
    To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 or 248 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

There is no "E" in either BluVac or Blu-ray Disc.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Post Likes
    That filter dryer is also in the wrong location.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    I love finding stuff like that. Looks like a perfect candidate for a new system. I wouldn't even consider trying to make that thing "work." That's not even a possibility.

I found one last fall, about a 3 year old Arcoaire system. Furnace was installed with a R22 coil w/txv. They must have set the OD later and realized it was a 410a unit. They had just dumped the r410a and put in r22. Friggin idiot hacks.

All they would have had to do is swap the indoor txv and it would have been good to go. I offered to do that for them, but explained it's probably too late to save it anyway. We replaced the whole system.
    nice picture I havent seen one that froze over expeciaslly two lol it must of been drinkin that liquid up

Post Likes
    jeremyjp I agree that there needs to be something done about unlicensed work start with reasonable requirements for taking their test.Time in the field is a good one then they do a background check.these are excellent andshould beused to sit for the test.Then here they want one year supervisory experience with a letter from contractor or engineer.The ones I worked for (contractor) fear competition where is thieir insentive to be honest about your experience with them.Main point I have been behind licensed guys who have done hack work described in here so it is not always unlicensed guy doing this but sometimes licensed.Thank you

Post Likes
    Hey you gotta do what you gotta do
    Beer can cold
    The dreaded " tail light guarantee
    I probably have worked with the guys you are talking about not only is it the technicians fault but some fault with the employers
    No training just asses to fill up van seats to sell new equipment

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    awesome stuff. Why in the world would somebody remove a reversing vlv?
    The rev.valve most likely quit actuating
    I have to admit i pulled one out this weekend myself. It was at a buddy's house and he didn't have have the money to buy a new valve at the present time. I gave him labor but i wasn't gonna buy the part. I saw no reason to pull the accumulator. His air handler has plenty or electric heat. Does this make me a hack?

the bi.flow drier was coming apart and got trash in the capillaries that move the slide. also replaced the clogged drier, pulled and cleaned the evaporator, and even washed his blower wheel too..
    If its worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Post Likes
    So i assume the reversing valve failed because obviously you wouldn't remove it if it was operating in cooling since the electric heat works

Post Likes
    Id have convinced him to just throw down the money for the RV. I think when he opens up his electric bill this winter he would agree.

Post Likes
    I found similar on a non working 5 ton condenser... only the call was, no cooling in the resturant... the accumulator, and the RV were removed... and left open. I asked how long the system was down for... 6 months!
    apparently last winter the heat went out, and the answer was to add 15KW duct heaters, and cut out the offending part from the heat pump...

I pulled the miswired heaters, and installed a new 5 ton heat pump (cash up front of course)... lowered their heat bill 600/month...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    i go on new construction jobs all the time such as today where the rooftop units are straight a/c and electric heat....i have no idea why..... especially when they are 460 volt...dont draw hardly any amperage...compressor fla is around 8 and the 25.7kw heaters draw 27 amps

Post Likes
    I've seen this a few times when years ago the local utility company offered rebates for switching to natural gas appliances. If installing a gas furnace and keeping the outdoor unit of a heat pump system, they required you to make it straight AC only (they did not allow dual fuel setups for the rebate). Personally, I only did one of this conversion type since the heat pump was only 2 years old, but I just changed the wiring so it couldn't run in heat mode and gave them the option to convert back in the future. The utility was satisfied with this method and they got their rebate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in