Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 41
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhydronics View Post
    Thanks for the warnings and advice.

    Guys in the equipment repair feild just dont seem to love it or beat their chest like us HVAC and cold side only guys. Why's that?

    ....Also whats the most common hotside equipment repair i will run into.
    The most common problem I run into is (in no particular order):

    1. Bad thermostats (and a lot of stats are solid state now - board and probe)
    2. Bad limits (snapped at the capillary tube)
    3. Electrical units you'll find broken/burned wiring off elements/contactors.

    Experience will be your friend over time. I do HVAC/R and food service stuff, there's been many a time I've worked on a microwave while temping out a reach in, all the while waiting for the building AC to come down after I changed out the compressor earlier, all at the same location. *Note that you're also more valuable, so you'll get paid more.

    And I wholeheartedly agree with AtticAce - the worst thing about it is the customers that ***** about the cost, even after our company notifies them in advance the travel and labor rates. I've had checks thrown at me. I've had checks bounce. I had a guy, once I finalized the price, he said he'd write the check when I came back from putting my tools in the truck. He promptly locked his doors when I came back to collect. I had a guy, very effeminate, offer to barter payment, "if you know what I mean" (his exact quote).

    Those are rare, though - but fun stories you'll be able to repeat to your grandkids.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and you didnt take him up on it????????

    you must not have been married long!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!






    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_1963 View Post
    The most common problem I run into is (in no particular order):

    1. Bad thermostats (and a lot of stats are solid state now - board and probe)
    2. Bad limits (snapped at the capillary tube)
    3. Electrical units you'll find broken/burned wiring off elements/contactors.

    Experience will be your friend over time. I do HVAC/R and food service stuff, there's been many a time I've worked on a microwave while temping out a reach in, all the while waiting for the building AC to come down after I changed out the compressor earlier, all at the same location. *Note that you're also more valuable, so you'll get paid more.

    And I wholeheartedly agree with AtticAce - the worst thing about it is the customers that ***** about the cost, even after our company notifies them in advance the travel and labor rates. I've had checks thrown at me. I've had checks bounce. I had a guy, once I finalized the price, he said he'd write the check when I came back from putting my tools in the truck. He promptly locked his doors when I came back to collect. I had a guy, very effeminate, offer to barter payment, "if you know what I mean" (his exact quote).

    Those are rare, though - but fun stories you'll be able to repeat to your grandkids.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    confucious say
    he who wok supermarket
    wok long hour, wok many on call and have long journey!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    263
    "Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chinese Resrahnt....My little box is hot, you come fix quick"......[/QUOTE]

    ....That is pretty funny....

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




    Quote Originally Posted by navyhydronics View Post
    "Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chinese Resrahnt....MyWlittle box is hot, you come fix quick"......
    ....That is pretty funny....[/QUOTE]
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  6. #32
    When I've worked on commercial food equipment, I had a guilt complex. I mean about $75/hr to work on a toaster?

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    you should feel guilty working that cheap!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  8. #34
    I started doing commercial food service when I was at Honeywell in El Paso. They had that type of work because of an acquisition. I was at beginning wage just over $16/hr., I doubt my total package was over $25/hr.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    When I've worked on commercial food equipment, I had a guilt complex. I mean about $75/hr to work on a toaster?
    I used to feel guilty charging that much - then telling them that the unit was unplugged.

  10. #36
    $75-$85/hr in El Paso might seem expensive, but I wouldn't doubt it if commercial food equipment service might be going for $125/hr in New York!

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    fort walton beach fl.
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    $75-$85/hr in El Paso might seem expensive, but I wouldn't doubt it if commercial food equipment service might be going for $125/hr in New York!
    Well here's the problem. I found that a higher hourly rate weave's out the bad customers, especially the new one's. I'm at $115 right now and will be at $125 at the end of March.
    I can't tell you how many phone conversations goes like this. Customer" So and So only charge's $65 an hour". Me:"So and so also didn't fix your fryer and is not answering your phone calls"
    http://acfwb.com/

    "The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

  12. #38
    So you're at $115/hr for CFE service? I wish there was many more like you. Beside Hobart and Ecolab, that market is cut-throat.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    .
    I work for a school district now, taking care of four kitchens with over 200 pieces of equipment. It's the best job I've ever had and I've been in the trade for over 30 years.

    Ha , sounds like a county job,
    Just kidding
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event