Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taking a pay cut to do this

Got offered a position with a restaurant equipment repair company.

Was wondering how is the job satisfaction for you guys

Willing to take the pay cut to get the job satisfaction and learn something new.

It depends. I came from the residential/small commercial A/C, heating and refrigeration side before I got a job working for a restaurant chain. Working in a kitchen with kitchen staff running around, bumping into you and preparing food over the top of you while you're trying to change an evaporator fan motor on an under-counter refrigerator or freezer can be challenging, to say the least.

The restaurant chain I worked for was open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It wasn't bad when I was working on the A/C or refrigeration equipment on the roof, but trying to change out a fryer high limit while working inches away from 350 degree oil was not my idea of satisfying, especially when the fryer next to where I was working was still being used. Not fun!

If the equipment you'll be working on is critical, getting it working can be a little stressful, especially when you're working in a crowded kitchen, especially while you're trying to read a wiring diagram and troubleshoot, and especially when you don't know who has worked on the equipment before you and you have no history of what's been done to the equipment in the past. The fact that I had very little experience working on fryers, shake machines, grills, drink systems, dishwashers, etc., didn't help and added to the stress. Then, if you have to take call, there's always the likely possibility you'll be called out at 2 in the morning after you've worked until 8 o'clock the previous night.

But, like I said, it depends. I work for a school district now, taking care of four kitchens with over 200 pieces of equipment. It's the best job I've ever had and I've been in the trade for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    I work for a school district now, taking care of four kitchens with over 200 pieces of equipment. It's the best job I've ever had and I've been in the trade for over 30 years.

Ha , sounds like a county job,
    Just kidding
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Well. i work at nice bars and restaurants in my area, but i only do the cold side of the work and the rtu's its not too bad i do admit the people in the kitchen get in your way more often then not. thats why i am forced to come back early in the morning probably get there around 5am and get out of there by noon. but i know what hrs of the day i can go in there and what times are bad to head over. the managers there always give us a heads up. well ya the waitresses are pretty sweet. i learned how to work fast in certain situations. restaurant work isnt that bad but i think i am one of the lucky ones.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

I did restaurants a while back. Laying in grease, pulling out rotton food from the back of the reach in. Oh wait, no it's a rotton mouse.

Or the time I asked the kid to cover the deep fryer before I move the ceiling tile. No I'm too busy he say's, just do what you gotta do. So I move the tile, mouse droppings fall into deep fryer. Kid say's great now we have 12 herbs and spices.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Yep, odd hours. walking into the job site and no one knows anything about what the unit is doing wrong (is Blokin) seems to be a pretty standard answer. Extremely cramped spaces to work in. Had to tell a cook while under a counter "look here Wang chung, you splash that hot grease on me again and I'll stick a screwdriver in your leg.

All I can say is I hope you dont mind grease and floor grit.

Best of luck to you.

All I can remember is being stepped on, playing on dirty floors, and the Spanish music... Lot's of Spanish music. I lasted exactly 4 weeks.

Don't walk.... Run away.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

run away!

I did restaurant equipment repair for 12 years. You will see some of the nastiest stuff you could ever imagine. Have to work on a oven that needs to come out of its resting place to be repaired? Hope you have a strong stomach.
    Beware the Chinese restaurants. Scary critters in there. And Mamasaan, the old lady in the back corner, holds all the cash.

One good thing. You quickly learn where to eat and where not to eat. Also what to eat and what not to eat/drink. Think twice before making the move.
    Plenty of work to keep you busy though. Watch out for those C.O.D. calls!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    I did restaurant equipment repair for 12 years. You will see some of the nastiest stuff you could ever imagine. Have to work on a oven that needs to come out of its resting place to be repaired? Hope you have a strong stomach.
    Beware the Chinese restaurants. Scary critters in there. And Mamasaan, the old lady in the back corner, holds all the cash.

One good thing. You quickly learn where to eat and where not to eat. Also what to eat and what not to eat/drink. Think twice before making the move.
    Plenty of work to keep you busy though. Watch out for those C.O.D. calls!!!!!
    This is very true, but every aspect of the HVACR trade has its "bad working conditions" I know I would take a greasy kitchen over a 120 degree rooftop any day of the week.

Also add Mexican restaurants to the list.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

and you could get some pretty good upskirts while working on your back!

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    This is very true, but every aspect of the HVACR trade has its "bad working conditions" I know I would take a greasy kitchen over a 120 degree rooftop any day of the week.

Also add Mexican restaurants to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    and you could get some pretty good upskirts while working on your back!
    LMAO Although sometimes you'd rather not have gotten that upskirt

Sounds like most of you guys dont really like working restaurants....

Only real downside is i will be totally out of HVAC. But like smurphy said i guess i will be trading in the 120 degree roofs for greasy floors....

I will have plenty of latex gloves handy, i guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast