requesting input on DV gas water heater

Hey All -- I've spent a couple weeks now searching around your site. There's a *wealth* of knowledge here. Thanks much!

I'm in VT. I have a 1-bathroom home, dishwasher, laundry. My wife and I plan to have ~2 kids and we often have guests. If we don't stay here long-term, we plan to rent it out. I'm shooting for 4-person accommodations.

Concerns are:
    - Size: 40-50 gal. Lasting hotwater for kid's baths, multiple/guest showers, etc
    - Efficiency: don't mind paying up front if it makes sense; prefer .90+
    - Cost: staying < $ installed, if possible
    - Longevity: 12yr warranty
    - Noise: quiet! DV preferred

My current water heater is on it's way out (so says my inspector). It's 40gal and vents through the chimney. It's 12ft from the outside wall. I just had a 96% condensing furnace installed, with an electric sump that drains into my sewer pipe in the basement. A brand new outlet is right next to the furnace/sump/WH, so a PV could be *easily* added. I have a chimney, but would really like to go Direct Vent for quiet. The furnace vents out the side wall.

I've looked at mostly Rheem and A.O. Smith. I find the Vertex series (GDHE-50) to be a bit overpriced and probably overkill, but could be convinced otherwise. It seems to be priced mostly on it's "hype." Asking local vendors/contractors, everyone seems to be biased to their own, of course.

I'm a big DIY guy, not afraid to try things out, and have a few contractor friends. I wouldn't mind doing the install, but plumbing/gas makes me a little nervous due to the risk if I it up lol

Any suggestions on models?
    Any other advice?

Thanks again, in advance. This forum is awesome.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: price limit

get some quotes from local contractors.

I haven't gotten any quotes on WH prices and install prices yet, but the 4 contractors I've asked (over the phone) all seem biased to their own brands/methods.

they shouldbe able to size it properly. you can then use the quotes for product research.
    if you are concerned about noise you may want to look into a tankless on demand. a contractor will need to size this unit for you and install it. most contractors, and people for that matter, are biased towards any product.

Power vent types tend to be noisy with that inducer roaring away above them. The chimney vent type can be inaudible. My Lochinvar (Bradford-White) just whispers a bit with the burner on, gotta put your ear down by it. The tankless I've heard are quiet but won't like the installed cost and payback in a vacation home probably will never happen. If you add maintenance, they probably won't pay in a standard lived in home.