Thread: LOYTEC

LOYTEC

Does anyone have info on loytec?

Which product are you looking for? NIC709 or NIC852 network interface,the LPA006, LPA-PP, LPA-USB, or LPA-USBP protocol analyzer? I can answer many questions and I even have some great links to some user guides.

Highly recommended.
    I've used a number of their products and have barely scratched the surface of all the features. High quality and very flexible.
    Bacnet, lon, modbus, zigbee, Mbus, knx.
    Webservers, programmable webservers, full Line of IO, soon to release programmable lon controllers, configuration tools are free, not to mention switches and routers etc.....

www.loytec.com

Spend some time looking through their website, they have a very diverse product line and should be releasing a number of real slick products this year.

What are you looking for?

I was ask to start a controls division for our Mechanical HVAC company. I looked at companys with buy ins and sales quotas(delta, trend, aamatrix, and others, as well as none sale quotas, ASI, Reliable, Teletrol, and Computrols. Then I came across Loytec and spoke to a gentleman there breifly, I liked what he had to say I am just not sure if it is the right fight. We currently are looking to work design build type of projects from our existing client base, have a line of controls for some BES projects, and retrofit some existing customers who are running a variety of systems, from Trane, JCI, Honeywell, Carrrier. We also do building bench marking and are NEBB certified balancers. I like that they cover lon, bacnet, zigbee, modbus, and I believe OPC. I am un sure of how/what products would work and software and programming.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of similar companies, There seems to be alot of threads in regards to Loytec, some positive some not. Just looking for some help.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDICKMaGEE View Post
    Does anyone have any other suggestions of similar companies, There seems to be alot of threads in regards to Loytec, some positive some not. Just looking for some help.
    http://www.circon.com/
    Another to consider. Great people to work with.
    But they only do lon.

I thought they went out of business, Oh well I will talk to them, I don't want to start the lon vs bacnet conversation, but what are some key differences with regards to market trends, programming, software and licensing? Also are there manufacturers such as loytec that do both?

I thought they went out of business, Oh well I will talk to them, I don't want to start the lon vs bacnet conversation, but what are some key differences with regards to market trends, programming, software and licensing? Also are there manufacturers such as loytec that do both?
    They never really went out of business but only took a short vacation
    That being said they are worth a phone call. They just released a new controller and are working on some other things. Their hardware is solid and their software is just as good. And I'm pretty sure you won't need to sign any agreements.

With companies like Loytec, Circon, Distech, SmartControls etc..... why pick only one line? I've been told there are also number of bacnet products available on the open market so have your company provide solutions not a product line. Unless you do unreal volume I can't imagine pricing being an issue.

Their are a few companies that do a full spectrum of building controls protocols including but not limited to BACnet, LONtalk and MODbus. Their are a tonne of proprietary protocols out there as well and some vendors do have an extensive drivers library to communiacte with proprietary protocols. Some of the vendors include:

Scheinder Electric
    Tridium/Honeywell
    Automated Logic
    CATnet Systems

Just becuase these vendors provide multiply lines / communications portals some are less then desirable for real world working conditions.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

We do not want high price buy ins, or sales quotas per say. Our options are looking like lon based controls, Asi, computrols, and reliable. Of all that you stated schneider has a rep in our area along with alc(we could have a small piece), never heard of catnet systems.

Catnet has a very nice web based front end that will interface to Lon, Bacnet, and Modbus. I have used it with Bacnet. Catnet offers an MS/TP adaptor but I recommend the Contemporay Controls Bacnet Router. I used it to go form Bacnet IP to MS/TP.

The Catnet has scheduling and trending, and it can write to Bacnet points at different priority levels. I suggest buying an extra frontend and router to work on in the shop. You can copy the file from a Catnet in the field, rework it in the office, and go out and download it back at the site.

Catnet offers the ability to make templates of everything from individual point setups and graphics, to whole controllers, to whole sites. If you have 50 identical controllers, you can make 1 template that is referenced for all 50. You can also add labels unique to the controller/zone onto the template, and still use the 1 template for all. Trust me, templates are where it is at.

On many systems, they include a wizard of some sort to create multiple displays, but at the end you will still have 50 displays for 50 controllers. Then, if you want to make a change to the dispaly layout, you will be changing 50 displays.

Catnet does not include a graphics package for AHUs, VAVs, etc. So you will need to look into that.