Thread: i know its sad

hey guys, well a brief history on me. i attended a 9month course in 05 and graduated as a "hvac tech" (ha)and it took me 3 months 2 get a gig..and i finaly got 1 as a install helper.. and got discharged after 3 months due to lack of exp (never did install, COYNE never taught us how to do install) well its been awhile still out there looken and not giving up. but 1 prob i feel like im forgetting how to do stuff like: charging,recovering,pump down, and hooking up a switch w/outlet. those are the main things i got probs with.. my qustion is can any hvac veteran help me out on how to memorize those falts i have ..im trying to push into getting a helper position since a/c season hitting hard

Senior Tech Guest
    Read...read...and read some more. You will eventually find a company willing to take a chance on you and give you the time to learn from experience...stick with it and soon you'll be the one giving the advice.

Originally posted by wannagetstarted
    hey guys, well a brief history on me. i attended a 9month course in 05 and graduated as a "hvac tech" (ha)and it took me 3 months 2 get a gig..and i finaly got 1 as a install helper.. and got discharged after 3 months due to lack of exp (never did install, COYNE never taught us how to do install) well its been awhile still out there looken and not giving up. but 1 prob i feel like im forgetting how to do stuff like: charging,recovering,pump down, and hooking up a switch w/outlet. those are the main things i got probs with.. my qustion is can any hvac veteran help me out on how to memorize those falts i have ..im trying to push into getting a helper position since a/c season hitting hard
    Don't get frustrated man. Just keep a good attitude. You'll get hired. Just make sure when you are interviewed they know you are learning. Oh, and always show up on time with lots of energy. Good luck.

BTW, where do you live? I'm sure someone on here could use someone eager for the summer.

i found that it's pretty valuable to have friends in the industry. i felt i got a break when i was in school cause i had 2 friends looking out for me. Hell i was hired before i graduated. I can't say many in my class were as lucky as me at getting thier foot in the w/ a co thats willing to take a chance on the greenhorn.

As seatonheating said... tis the season. lots of companies looking for help right now for the summer blast. If you stay on past fall though... thats where drive and good workmanship comes in.

seatonheating
    Don't get frustrated man. Just keep a good attitude.
    Senior Tech
    Read...read...and read some more. You will eventually find a company willing to take a chance on you and give you the time to learn from experience...
    Great advice...got my degree from Triton (quite awhile ago) and my original start in Chicago area. My son got his HVAC&R degree last year and it took 6 months before he found a decent job in the field. Now he is actually requested by other techs when they need help. Unfortunate that you have to get hired before somebody will know how well you know you're stuff. Keeping trying.
    Knowledge is information, Intelligence gains confidence...
    Wisdom, the ability to use Knowledge & Intelligence earns Respect