Water heater question?

I have a Water Furnace Premier furnace that was serviced a few months back by a local service dealer. The unit is around 18 years old. He shut off my DHW to my water heater (1 electric tank) claming it would be easier on my unit. Since repairing a freon leak he blew up my computer board and transformer, I just wanted to make sure this was good advise. Thanks

One other question. Does your water softener use more salt in the DHW mode? I believe my furnace isn't hooked up to water softener, but my water heater is. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mns View Post
    I have a Water Furnace Premier furnace that was serviced a few months back by a local service dealer. The unit is around 18 years old. He shut off my DHW to my water heater (1 electric tank) claming it would be easier on my unit. Since repairing a freon leak he blew up my computer board and transformer, I just wanted to make sure this was good advise. Thanks
    It will free up a few btu's of heat for space heating. I'm not sure how it would make it easier on the unit? You may have a bit shorter runtimes.

Is your unit having trouble keeping the house warm?
    Evan

You've provided precious little info for your query. First, is this a Water Furnace heat pump? Second, is the electric water heater piped into the desuperheater of the HP? And what's that about adjusting the refrigerant charge and blowing up the control board? I'm afraid I don't really understand your questions. Absent a piping diagram of the DHW involved, I'm afraid I'll have to refrain from guessing on this one. If you can supply appropriate photos or a piping diagram or additional information of the sequence of repairs, we may be able to provide some useful info. Otherwise....
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

One other question. Does your water softener use more salt in the DHW mode? I believe my furnace isn't hooked up to water softener, but my water heater is. Thanks
    No, it does not use more salt.

It just circulates water from the electric water heater, through the desuperheater coil, and back to the water heater. The circulation path does not include your water softener.

Since repairing a freon leak he blew up my computer board and transformer.
    Sounds like you may have lost some faith/trust in him, lots of unintentional accidents happen everyday in this world,
    the BP explosion immediately comes to my mind.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Thanks for the quick responses. The questions I had you answered. I'm trying to understand this system better. Thanks again