Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Worries

A few days ago, I had a Carrier Infinity system installed, with a 38TDB condensing unit. This unit was delivered to my house in its cardboard carton, but the bottom of the carton had already been removed. When the unit was put on a hand-truck and moved to the back of the house, I noticed that the unit had apparently been slid across the shop floor and the paint on the bottom of the condensing unit's pan had been scratched off as a result. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the unit was then bolted straight to a concrete slab, without isolation pads. Now, in hind-sight, I'm very worried that the pan is going to rust through. Do you think I have a valid concern here, and if so, what could be done to correct this? Thanks much.

This is not a real concern, IMO. If the area that the paint is removed from is not in standing water all the time, then the only thing I think you would see is surface rust. By the time that area of the pan rusts through, it will probably be time to consider a new unit anyway.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Well, I tend to disagree - I don't think that bare metal sitting face down on concrete and exposed to frequent rain in south Florida is going to hold up too well. That's my fear, anyway.

blubby, your getting closer to being that statistic! In my opinion, you paid for a new undamaged system, then that's what you should get. Call your guy. Have them take care of it while they are dealing with the noise problem inside. It's too bad you didn't think of it until after the job was complete. It would have been much easier to address before it was installed. Did the installers realize it was damaged? Have them unbolt the unit from the slab and put pads under it like you want. IMO the pads aren't necessary, but it's your system and the pads are simple to add in. If the installer is not willing to do anything for you then call Carrier directly and ask them what your options are. It's better to get all your bugs worked out now rather than waiting a couple of years and having to pay for it. If you hired a good, respectable company, they will help you out.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy

Thanks for the advice, Flick. I guess I've got a case of "big-ticket anxiety". I'll call on Monday and request pads under the condensing unit - not for vibration abatement but to get that exposed sheet metal off the concrete. As for the transformer hum, I don't know if that is normal but I'll ask and hope I get an honest response. The dealer was clearly remiss for scuffing the bottom of the condensing unit, but otherwise the installation was done beautifully and the equipment is living up to all expectations. Whether it lasts the 20+ years like the old Rheem they removed is yet to be seen.

LOL, guys like you are a trip. You're gonna keep calling and harassing your installer over the most trivial things, aren't you?

Look, by the time that pan rusts out the unit will be so old you'll need a new one. If you were that concerned, you should've said something when they were installing it, not now that it's all done.

Hey, it's your dime. Call 'em up and demand a whole new unit. Make sure they throw a coat of car wax on that A/C so it'll stay shiny, too.

Yikes.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

MHO

There always seems to be a small dimple around any type of pad that is bolted between two other materials. This dimple will be a holding point for moisture, probably more so than without it. If it were mine, I would leave the pads out. In other words, the pads are not going to keep it from rusting.

Let me respond to dougfamous: My father, who was an exceptionally qualified aeronautical engineer, taught me a few things about work ethic, including (1) take pride in your work, (2) sweat every detail, and (3) always deliver what you promise. I try to act on those values, so when I hire a professional I expect no less. I paid top dollar for a quality system and quality service, and I should be entitled to expect that it be delivered as represented by the contractor and as intended by the manufacturer. I shouldn’t have to compromise my expectations, accept less than I paid for, or absorb the risk of premature failure simply because of an installer’s lack of diligence and due care, or for fear that he may feel “harassed”. So if you’re one of those contractors that think delivering quality service is trivial nuisance, you’re precisely the sort that we consumers try to avoid. Oh,…and anyone who thinks that rust is a trivial issue in south Florida is sadly mistaken; it is NOT the customer’s job to supervise an installation nor call attention to such matters; and finally, I haven’t called nor harassed anyone.

Not trying to be a smart aleck here, but it seems your mind was pretty much made up before your post, so you should have just gone ahead and called the man back?

Hummmmm your dad was an engineer??? Everytime I hear the word ENGINEER...... IM waiting for a train wreck. Maybe thats why an ENGINEER runs trains. I would say let the whining begin but I see it already has.

Im thinking we need another site here.......HVAC WHINING

blubbly What kind of chesse do you want with your whine???

Originally posted by blubby
    Let me respond to dougfamous: My father, who was an exceptionally qualified aeronautical engineer,
    You can stop here. That explains everything.

(1) take pride in your work, (2) sweat every detail, and (3) always deliver what you promise. I try to act on those values, so when I hire a professional I expect no less.

My daddy, who spent 32 years working in a foundry for Ford Motor, taught me a few things too. First was "never do business with an engineer". Second was "The more you charge, the more they're gonna nitpick".

Personally, I think you're nitpicking. I hope the installer charged you enough to cover the 8 million callbacks he's gonna get from you over every little thing.

So if you’re one of those contractors that think delivering quality service is trivial nuisance, you’re precisely the sort that we consumers try to avoid.

By all means, call the other guy.

it is NOT the customer’s job to supervise an installation nor call attention to such matters;
    No, but as the "son of an engineer" you should've realized what big pain in the a** it would be to do something about it AFTER it's bolted down. You were obviously watching them, so you WERE supervising, why not say something BEFORE it's installed? They probably could've got you a new condenser.

By the way, Mr. Son of an Engineer, what do YOU do for a living?
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Go ahead and take all the shots you want, but anyone in any profession or trade who delivers less than he knows (or should know) is right or best for his customer, or less than he would do for himself and take advantage of his customer's lesser expertise, is violating a fundamental ethical imperative. And then when they run across an observant customer they call him a nit-picker and a whiner?

BUT more importantly, my last post had nothing to do with my install. With the exception on my rust concern and some transformer hum, it was beautifully done and exceeded my every expectation. My issue is with the response given by dougfamous on 4/14, which I consider to be an unprofessional personal attack in response to a simple question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast