Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cartercrew View Post
    The AC/HP coil will be placed in the duct after the furnace. The air will still be moved using the furnace blower through the AC coil and into the duct system.

An air handler, or electric furnace is used when a gas furnace is not used. They are not used together, as only one blower is used in a system.
    Ahhh this helps me understand how the whole system works. The cooling coils are they placed inside the ducting after the furnace?

Dual fuel indicates that the heat is generated by two fuels. One is gas, the other is electric (through the heat pump). A conventional AC removes heat from the house and expels it into the yard. A heat pump has a valve in it that allows the refrigerant to run in a reverse direction, taking heat from yard and putting it inside. The only other difference in dual fuel is the thermostat or control system. It needs to be able to switch between the heat pump and the furnace at the appropriate outdoor temperature.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    Not trying to make a sales pitch as I'm not in anyway affiliated, but I have installed a 2 stage a/c and installed a fanhandler control (from fanhandler.com) to make the furnace fan variable speed and it worked great, without the cost of upgrading their furnace.
    Poorman's VS blower. But, unlike a real VS blower, it can't deliver set CFM on a "challenged" duct system. And it tends to use more electric at lower CFM then a VS blower does.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    will this have any affect on the longevity of the motor?
    Not at all. I have one installed in my own furnace. It's been in there for over 6 years with no problems at all. I couldn't afford a variable speed 2 stage gas furnace when I replaced it at that time. I put in a 92% single stage. I live in a split entry home and spend a lot of time in the family room downstairs. With the fanhandler the temperatures between upstairs and downstairs is almost the same. Before I installed the control it was usually 5 to 10 degrees colder downstairs. Go to the website and see the demo

Frown

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Poorman's VS blower. But, unlike a real VS blower, it can't deliver set CFM on a "challenged" duct system. And it tends to use more electric at lower CFM then a VS blower does.
    poorman's probably on a challenged duct, but works ok on a normal duct system. It has worked great on my own system for over 6 years. If money was no object then not only go with a true vs furnace and while you're at it then upgrade that challenged poorly designed duct system too. Not all of us have lots of money for a Cadillac system. so sometimes you compromise. I never recommended installing a fanhandler on a challenged duct system. The extra electricity that a fanhandler uses versus having the op change out his furnace would be ridiculous and that more electricity that it uses on lower speed bs the payback would be 10-15 years or more!

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    Not at all. I have one installed in my own furnace. It's been in there for over 6 years with no problems at all. I couldn't afford a variable speed 2 stage gas furnace when I replaced it at that time. I put in a 92% single stage. I live in a split entry home and spend a lot of time in the family room downstairs. With the fanhandler the temperatures between upstairs and downstairs is almost the same. Before I installed the control it was usually 5 to 10 degrees colder downstairs. Go to the website and see the demo
    I went to the web page and the Fanhandler product looks promising. Our house is 6 years old and when the furnace heat kicks out hot air, we normally have to turn the volume up on our TV. It gets warm in hear when the furnace is on (kicks on around 68) and warms the house then kicks off. The cycle continues.

Well it does get around 100 every now and then here in Colorado Springs. There is no way we will be comfortable this summer without an AC unit. With the knowledge I have gained it sounds like having an AV/heat pump and possibly this Fanhandler would do the trick. Now just time to figure out what 4ton Air Conditioner/ Heat pump to buy and at what seer level?

Still kind of wondering what kind of questions to ask the contractors when they come over for quoting their work and what to look for. Any advice....anyone here from Colorado Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Armystrong View Post
    I went to the web page and the Fanhandler product looks promising. Our house is 6 years old and when the furnace heat kicks out hot air, we normally have to turn the volume up on our TV. It gets warm in hear when the furnace is on (kicks on around 68) and warms the house then kicks off. The cycle continues.

Well it does get around 100 every now and then here in Colorado Springs. There is no way we will be comfortable this summer without an AC unit. With the knowledge I have gained it sounds like having an AV/heat pump and possibly this Fanhandler would do the trick. Now just time to figure out what 4ton Air Conditioner/ Heat pump to buy and at what seer level?

Still kind of wondering what kind of questions to ask the contractors when they come over for quoting their work and what to look for. Any advice....anyone here from Colorado Springs?
    Slowing the fan in heat mode is not always a good idea. It could cause the heat exchanger to over heat.

Sounds like your duct system is under sized, which is not a good application for a fan handler.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12