Hmm

Want to replace our 15+ year old air handler with a 3 ton Trane gas furnace like XB80 or XR80. But should I keep the old a/c outside? It is a Trane XL1200 (mfd date 4/93). The contractor said that it is not a good idea because the mismatch may give me problems, and it will only lower my cost by $800 (seems low to me) now but it will cost hundreds more dollar to replace it later. He wants me to go with a new unit like XB13, XR14, or XL14i.

What shall I do?

Originally posted by tn home owner
    Want to replace our 15+ year old air handler with a 3 ton Trane gas furnace like XB80 or XR80. But should I keep the old a/c outside? It is a Trane XL1200 (mfd date 4/93). The contractor said that it is not a good idea because the mismatch may give me problems, and it will only lower my cost by $800 (seems low to me) now but it will cost hundreds more dollar to replace it later. He wants me to go with a new unit like XB13, XR14, or XL14i.

What shall I do?

Let's see, 13 yr old AC? Replace it and make sure you get the 16 SEER minimum down there in Tennessee, will be well worth it. Not sure about that 800 dollar difference though, probably blowing smoke.

Dispose of dealer. That's horsehockey that the nice 12 SEER Choo Choo you already have won't work on a new furnace. As long as you are moving around 400 CFM/ton, the existing high efficiency A/C doesn't care what is doing it. Could be a 1940s vintage relic for all it cares. Tennessee summers aren't that bad and usually have low juice rates. That 12 SEER is just fine to me if it isn't causing any trouble.

I would agree with Baldloonie, it'll take an awful long time to pay for your new AC unit---if ever.

Originally posted by bow hunter
    I would agree with Baldloonie, it'll take an awful long time to pay for your new AC unit---if ever.
    Ya, but it's the same old song. Pay now or pay later. A lot of people prefer to pay at once and have lower utilities to show for it. Being that it is tax season alot of people see it as found money and don't mind spending the money to lower their monthly bill. That's the truth.

I agree 100% with LOONie

Electric rates are decent in TN, and despite the age, 12 SEER isn't shabby. That was a high-end unit when it was new.

I wouldn't rush to replace it, at least with respect to the energy efficiency of the cooling cycle.

But I'm confused by the basic premise of your question. You say it's an AC (implying not a heat pump)... and want to replace your air handler with a gas furnace. So you are converting from electric heat to gas in the process?

Your cheapest heat source there will be a heat pump with electric backup. Second cheapest will be a heat pump with gas backup. The cost of heating with an 80% furnace is now comparable to the cost of electric-only heating (no heat pump). If you're looking to cut your heating costs, gas-only heat, especially at 80% efficiency, is not a good path to follow in your area.

So I guess my question is exactly what indoor equipment you're replacing and what you're trying to achieve with this equipment replacement. What is your current heat source?

You could just buy the new XL14 or 14i with matched coil and keep the a/c stored till the other one quits.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Tennessee summers aren't that bad
    I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm running service this July with temps hittin 100 & all the furnaces are in the attics.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

change contractor not ac. Why change airhandler to gas? 15 years is not old for a metal box with a motor in it. When you are ready for replacing all the equipment, install a heat pump.

ac

If there is nothing wrong with ac then dont mess with it.
    Just make sure the contrator clean A-coil while he replaing unit.

regards,
    Kelvin

new furnace

Ok, what these other guys aren't telling you is that as of 1-23-06, the new minimum seer rating is 13 seer. This starts all the way at the manufacturer. Which means, it would be in you best interest to atleast set a new indoor coil on that new furnace that you're getting. then once you've done that, your inside will be done. However, the a/c may not match up right, so I would do the complete system now. Maybe even step up to a higher effiency rating. You'll pay more up front, but save more in the long run.