Thread: Flue pipe

Red face Flue pipe

Hi all,
    I am purchasing a home and the home inspector found that in the attic the flue pipe had been cut into (both layers, it was a double lined flue pipe) and the hole had been covered by electrical tape. This finding concerned me. The home inspector said the whole flue pipe from furnace out needed to be replaced.

The sellers agreed to fix the flue pipe however they said that it only needed to be replaced from the damaged part up to the attic. Is this true? I am concerned that this is a double lined pipe and that fixing only a part of it may still result in some leaks of CO. Also they plan on using a licensed A contractor to this repair. Is this person qualified to do this type of work? I have inquired about the licensure and they just say they are a general licensed A contractor, not necessarily employed by a HVAC company.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. I want to buy a safe home for myself and my family.

Only the damaged part needs to be replaced. Not knowing where you reside in this world makes it impossible to determine licensing requirements for such work. I'm in Massachusetts, USA as you can readily see but you are in " " according to the info you've supplied. So I guess anybody can do it in " " but in Massachusetts, it requires a plumbing or gas fitters state license.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Not knowing where you live, to be safe, ask your house insurance company what they would like to have done and by who. Most of this stuff in the USA and Canada requires a licensed gas fitter or plumber to satisfy state/provincial codes and of course your insurance company...

Hope this helps a bit...

Thanks, that's a little reassuring. I am in Northern Virginia.

I don't care where you live:

You need someone who specializes in HVAC work. At a minimum, a hvac contractor, not a general contractor.
    In certain areas, further certification is required (gas fitters runs flues in some areas), I doubt that is the case in northern virginia.

I agree with enb. Ask your insurrance company about having a general contractor who is not licensed in HVAC, to perform a HVAC repair on something that can easily burn your house down if done incorrectly.

I feel they are taking a cheap way out, by using a general contractor.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

WhAt does he mean cut into? A hole for combustion or draft testing or a sizeable piece missing? It might not be a big deal, a picture would be helpful.

Ps I don't trust home inspectors. You're better off hiring a trade specific contractor from each field to do an inspection for u.
    Last edited by Gross; 02-05-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    WhAt does he mean cut into? A hole for combustion or draft testing or a sizeable piece missing? It might not be a big deal, a picture would be helpful.

Ps I don't trust home inspectors. You're better off hiring a trade specific contractor from each field to do an inspection for u.
    Big hole little hole does not matter. Alteration of a factory chimney piece is not allowed and negates any certification for use that the piece had from the factory.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Cool

I strongly recommend you have a FIRE Certified Inspector take a look at that chimney first. If it is no longer available, you must replace the entire chimney as you cannot mix and match. There may be other issues with the installation as well. You have Winston's Chimney Service right there is Arlington, Va so I would give Chuck a call and have it professionally inspected. He can also do the repairs as he holds a Va. Class A contractors license.