Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Has anyone used the Comfort-Aire 65 pint dehumidifier ?
    It claims Energy Star rating and with 65 pint should be able to handle a whole house excluding basement
    It apparently also has a humidity control button

65 pint should be able to handle the basement if their is no water intrusion problems.

Is 65 pint adequate if there are no water problems and I just want dehumidification for whole house mold control ?

It should unless you have a big house, then Id look in to at a 90 or bigger!

I have a 2000 sq.ft home, with no basement
    There is a crawlspace where I never go

Then Id put a 90 pint in the crawl

You need a 90 pint high eff. dehu with a small 4" dry air supply to the crawlspace to maintain <50%RH throughout the crawl/house with adequate fresh air. Don't mess with a the simple res dehus unless you are really desperate. Great for a small space but less energy eff. and not durable like a Santa Fe or Ultra-Aire. TB

simple res dehus
    ----

What is this mean ?

BTW, Comfortaire 65 pint model is Energy star rated and costs 25% for 72% of the performance of the units you mention

I put the biggest dehum carried by Sears in unventilated crawl 2y/a -- it has electronic control which I set to 3h cycles -- it drains thru hose to outside landscaping -- ~85p/d -- dirt floor -- seems to work fine -- set at 55% -- use box fans to circulate air

have another in kit, with bucket -- ~55p/d -- but, fight to keep RH% below 62%
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by gsubrec
    simple res dehus
    ----

What is this mean ?

BTW, Comfortaire 65 pint model is Energy star rated and costs 25% for 72% of the performance of the units you mention
    The energy factor of the comfortaire is 1.4-1.6 liters per Kw @ 80^F, 60%RH compared to 2.4-2.7liters/kw for Santa Fe/Ultra-Aires. At the cooler temperatures cheaper dehus do much less. Most mfg. instruct you to not operate below 65^F because of freeze-up. The simple res units have small coils without real air filters to keep the equipment clean. Although a very low cost first, most components are minimal quality compared to the high eff. equipment. All Santa Fe/Ultra-Aires have 60,000 hour fan motors that deliver ductable air flow. They also include a commercial refrigeration system and real merv 11 air filters. Coils are 10 times larger and deliver upto 2X more water per Kw. The simple resididential units are better than no dehumidifier and ok for small none critial loads but do not compare to this type of unit. TB

Santa Fe Advance
    http://www.thermastor.com/pdf/santafeadvancespec.pdf
    Electrical: 110-120 VAC, 6.35 Amps*, 60 Hz, grounded
    Capacity: 90 pints/day*
    Operating Temp: 55F min., 95F

http://www.heatcontroller.com/produc...humidbroch.pdf
    Control-Aire BHD651
    115VAC, 7.8A
    Low Temperature operation down to 45 Deg F

The comfortaire draws 25% more current, dries 25% less, and works down to 10 Deg below the Santa Fe, and costs 5x less

How much water does the comfort aire remove at 45^F? Cost of removing water at 75^F, 50%RH is two times higher. The noise level is two times higher. The service life of the comfortaire is half of the Santa Fe. Most of our customers have tried the residential dehumidifiers first. There is no comparison, but I understand SF is more expensive. Most of our customers are very satisfied. Thanks for considering equipment. Keep us posted on your results. TB

What I think is a plan

Consider this: Buy a cheaper dehumidifier and you can prove it does or does not work in your application. Then tell yourself you *might* buy a Thermastor or other high end dehu as a "version 2" kind of project, when and if you want it. There is good sense in not spending too much money on a first trial project, and you can win two ways. If it works well enough for you, then great. If it helps you make a more informed decision with more expensive equipment later on, also money well spent.

I myself have a Thermastor product and think they are great. What Teddy Bear says has always proven true in my experience too. But you may be sensible to go slowly until you are convinced.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast