Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by michio3483 View Post
    It is about 900 SF on the main floor (the ducts run directly under this floor) and 900 SF on the daylit-basement floor (utilizes mostly same ducts that run along the ceiling). Do you, generally, think it's a problem if the model he is quoting is a 2-ton if the existing (16-year old) heat pump is a 2.5 ton?
    Where do you live? A 2 ton HP will give u approx. 24,000 btus, a 2.5 HP will give u approx. 30,000 btus.

If u need the heat (and not fron the electric heat strip), go larger on the HP.

But 2.5 ton is too much A/C for that home (normally.) That's why 2-stage equip. is perfered. But you'll need to go to a 3 ton for a 2-stage. Then the ductwork will probably (almost always) need to be modified

Duckman you really should read the site rules you are not allowed to post in the AOP forums someone will be along shortly to delete your post. One other thing you really need to work on your language or typing skills way to many grammatical errors for someone to take you seriously. Not busting on you too bad just some friendly criticism.

I do not find anything in particular to fault with you post other than your being TRANEWASHED

OP I think you misunderstood what was said, 2-stage equipment does not come in half-ton capacities but single stage units do.

Single stage condensing units can be installed with variable speed air handlers two speed condensers should only be installed with variable speed air handlers.

As Mr. Matthews says a much lower price for higher seer equipment is a red flag for me. Equipment cost differences are not so great that substantial cost differences occur between comparable bids. I would be wary of what the low bid is not doing the others are. For instance did anyone perform a load calculation and evaluate the ductwork/airflow capacity this is paramount to any proper install.

Next a proper installation should include purging the lines with N2 during brazing, a micron gauge used to verify proper evacuation of the refrigeration circuit are they including new condenser support pads, pump ups if you have significant snow fall. Before you make a final decision ask for detailed installation procedures in writing not just verbally.

I live in Seattle. Most of the guys, including this guy, said that a 3-ton would be too big for the home/ducts. The problem seems to be that I wanted the Variable speed AH (partially because that's what everyone else quoted and recommended) and he said Goodman wouldn't work properly with a single stage heat pump and a variable speed AH. Which is why he recommended this option.

The trane guy also included an option for an XL 16i 2-stage, as his "best" option, but I didn't mention this because it was an extra $ and most of the sales guys said the more important piece was the variable speed on the AH.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-05-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: price difference

I live in Seattle. Most of the guys, including this guy, said that a 3-ton would be too big for the home/ducts. The problem seems to be that I wanted the Variable speed AH (partially because that's what everyone else quoted and recommended) and he said Goodman wouldn't work properly with a single stage heat pump and a variable speed AH. Which is why he recommended this option.

The trane guy also included an option for an XL 16i 2-stage, as his "best" option, but I didn't mention this because it was an extra $ and most of the sales guys said the more important piece was the variable speed on the AH.
    One thing pricing is not allowed on this site!

There is no reason that a single stage unit will not work with a variable speed air handler. I am beginning to have serious reservations about your Goodman contractor you might consider looking for another Goodman contractor or one of the others you have already spoken with. Lowest price is usually indicative of poor quality work not always but frequently.

I sell Goodman as well as other brands and my Goodman quotes are almost always higher than my competition even against comparable Trane and Lennox; because I do not take short cuts that most take.

The Goodcare warranty is not that expensive certainly cheaper than other brands sounds like he is including a 5-year labor warranty not the 10-year. I include the ten-year on all of my systems not an option.
    If the ductwork is not sufficient for three tons it would be a major mistake to go that route without making the necessary modifications. The same is true if you install a 2.5-ton and a 2-ton is all you need or vice versa. You need a properly performed load calculation to determine the proper unit. I frequently end up installing a smaller system than was originally installed especially if improvements have been made to the home.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-05-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: price difference in quote

The filter is right next to the furnace (also being replaced) and is the 4" pleated type.
    My home is 2 stories and about 1800 sf, the ductwork runs below the upper floor (along the ceiling of the basement). The basement was originally unfinished.

I'm surprised to hear no one sells 2.5 ton cause that is what everyone has been selling me.
    Oh, no, they do sell a 2.5ton, just not in the two-stage, 16SEER model which only comes in 2-,3-,4-,& 5ton capacities. No mfg does.

The model #'s you posted, BTW, is what tells me it's a 2ton.
    WHY?

m1000 and duckman06

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

This is your first warning. Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your posts have been deleted.

duckman06.

Click on the below link. You must apply to get approval to post in the AOP forums.

Once approved, an * will be added to your title.

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/f...Cp1S8I60Tj1d3Q
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12