Question please. I just had my very old central A/C system replaced with a Carrier Infinity system: a 38TDB condensing unit coupled with a FE4 variable-speed fan coil and an Infinity Control programmable thermostat. This is supposed to be very nice stuff. Great installer - seemed to be attentive to every detail. System has been operational for one day now. Generally, I'm very impressed - cools beautifully, almost always runs at low speed even here in south Florida, very quiet blower, etc.
    HOWEVER, one very annoying issue: when the house has reached target temp and the blower completely stops running, the air handler still makes an audible humming noise (reminds me of the deep hum a transformer makes). When the house is quiet, the noise can be heard for a good 30 feet away, so it is very noticeable. Is this normal? If so, what is causing this and what is it doing? Thanks.

Where does the noise seem to be coming from, the blower compartment?

Better yet, call the installer back and be like WTF.

Do you have the system set to run continuous blower operation? With that air handler the continuous blower speed is very low and you could be getting noise from that, shouldn't, but could be. If not running continuous blower, then it could very well be a transformer humming. I would call the installer to have it solved.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy

The humming noise is coming from something inside the fan coil (air handler) box itself, it is noticeable when the blower fan stops running and doesn't go away unless drowned out by the blower.

The blower is set to "auto", so the blower stops entirely from time-to-time when the target temp is reached. It is then that I hear the humming noise.

The noise is not normal. As someone mentioned with everything off its probably the transformer buzzing. Call the installer back. This is a minor repair and can be taken care of in less than a hour.

You need to call the installers to have them check it. You bought one of the best residential systems on the market and I'm sure you paid for it. Statistically speaking, 72% of people who purchased a new HVAC system are not happy with their purchase.

Don't be a statistic blubby! Call your guy!
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy

Is there a transformer in this thing? If so, it certainly sounds like the kind of hum that a bad transformer makes. From my observation during installation, the air handler box has 2 compartments: the lower section has the evaporator coil, and the upper section contains the blower and electronics - the hum is coming from the upper section. If there is a transformer located in there, that would be a likely culprit. I'll call the installer tomorrow. Thanks.

To Flick re 72%

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new retrofit central A/C system and I read that 80% of the systems in the country have been installed incorrectly! This is both amazing and outraging! How can a consumer check on his installer? Should I hire an expert to check on the supposedly expert?

BTW, I belive in quality so I'm leaning towards the Carrier system, but can one get a reasonably good system with a less expensive brand?

Originally posted by flick
    You need to call the installers to have them check it. You bought one of the best residential systems on the market and I'm sure you paid for it. Statistically speaking, 72% of people who purchased a new HVAC system are not happy with their purchase.

Don't be a statistic blubby! Call your guy!

LOL, you said in the other thread you wouldn't be nitpicking your contractor.

I just KNEW you were gonna be a load of callbacks. I will say a prayer for your install company tomorrow - they'll be hearing from you all summer, no doubt.

Dude, get a hobby or something. Go outside, do something useful instead of camping out in front of your HVAC system.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

AREN'T THESE INAPPROPRIATE PERSONAL ATTACKS A VIOLATION OF THIS FORUM'S CODE OF CONDUCT? I CAN'T ASK A FREAIN' QUESTION WITHOUT BEING MALIGNED?!!!!!!!

i dont think these are personl attacks, just the things that annoy the people who install these systems. you have to pick your battles. loud hum from airhandler yes, paint scratched on bottom of outdoor unit no