Return Air Noise

Hi guys,

I am considering relocating my return air duct and I need some advice. I have a 1,000 sf bungalow, hi eff Goodman furnace positioned in the corner of the basement and only one big return duct in the center of the house running accross the basement (30 feet approx total; bents once) and placing it in the living room on the main floor close above the furnace where it will have a shorter run now (10-15 feet run from the furnace, 1 bent again)

I am worried that it will be producing more noise?

Any advice?
    Thanks!

advice???

yes.. start your own thread. this one is 4 years old.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

And where would the noice come from mostly: the air itself circulationg or the furnice motor?
    Thanks!

Tinner's advice is good advice if you want more responses.

While I'm here though, unless the return ducting is too small and is causing a problem with restriction, it is in the best location.

Not only might you be able to hear the furnace through the shorter ducting more, the air from rooms on the opposite side of the house will have further to travel. This will cause possible drafts that may be bothersome in the winter months.

I would leave your return where it is.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks!
    Does anyone have a return air duct opening close to the furnace? Is it too noisy to watch TV for example under the usual normal volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Thanks!
    Does anyone have a return air duct opening close to the furnace? Is it too noisy to watch TV for example under the usual normal volume?
    All of us in the industry have come across issues of noise from return grills being too close to the blower.

Why do you want to move it?

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    All of us in the industry have come across issues of noise from return grills being too close to the blower.

Why do you want to move it?
    Roboteq, thanks for the advice.
    I am finishing the basement and the return duct runs throughout the center and is pretty low. I can eliminate the long run and place it closer to the furnace and I am trying to figure out if it is worth doing it. I would sacrifise better air circulation, less draft and less noise for some height space in the basement.

Would you consider 15 feet from the blower a close and noisy solution for the return grill?

Thanks!

15 feet from the blower to the grill should be enough to keep from hearing the blower sounds directly. And I understand now what you are looking to compromise on. I too am finishing a low ceiling basement.

If you can utilize some joist spacing for extending the return some, that is even better.