Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    At the age of 17 I just showed up with a hammer and tool belt at a local HVAC shop and told them I now work there! The owner told me I had a lot Ba**'s and laughed at me and so did everyone else. As I turned to walk out he said "hold up kid" I was just giving you crap, sit down in my office and will talk. He explained that I would eat crow for a year first and hate it, then I will see what your made of. That lasted about 90 days and I was made a duct installer from plenums to boots, later I was allowed to cut them in floor top register side. My mentor was a crusty 70 yr old biscuit who could not even read! He took manuals and acted the part but when inspectors looked at his work they were astonished, I think he had been a pipe fitter and such before HVAC. He never carried a tape measure and I back tracked him and got caught, I almost never worked with him again, he accused me of thinking he was lying! The guy was always dead on-go figure? In short 5 yrs of eating crow and I became a service tech, Now 35 yrs later I am at highly respected senior service tech adviser and still do calls every day (if you don't you fade away)! *I realize it is all different these days*. Good Luck and hope you get the next Crusty Biscuit like I had!

Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    Now 35 yrs later I am at highly respected senior service tech adviser and still do calls every day (if you don't you fade away)! *I realize it is all different these days*. Good Luck and hope you get the next Crusty Biscuit like I had!
    uuuhhmmm.......ok, I won't say it!

I too am beginning my search for a new career and was going to use the plan of studying and high rank of class as my "foot in the door",til someone can offer me something better. I know the product "myself" confidently I can sell it,hope the demand is high.

1. I saw an ad in the newspaper for apprentices down at the local union.

2. Drove down to the union and filled out an application.

3. A week later I got a call from the local union.

4. Got hired at an HVAC shop as a helper/driver.

5. Got accepted into the apprenticeship program.

6. Graduated from the 5 year apprenticeship program as a Journeyman.

Now I have the pick of jobs anywhere in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
    I too am beginning my search for a new career and was going to use the plan of studying and high rank of class as my "foot in the door",til someone can offer me something better. I know the product "myself" confidently I can sell it,hope the demand is high.
    Which school?

Pretty much same as chillerman ...... saw ad in paper for apprenticships when I was 18. Took the testing thru unemployment office ....... test results were sent to union ....... did interview with union ( lying thru my teeth that its what I have always wanted to do but having no clue what it even had anything to do with other then being it was for sheetmetal worker ...... must have something to do with sheetmetal ) ........ ended up getting letter in mail a week later saying I was #1 on the list and to report to work monday.

Went to about 6 differant trades interviews about the same time from meat cutters , plumbers, electricians, sheetmetal workers, and a few others. Told them all the same thing that its what I have always wanted to learn. Never heard a thing from the other trades then sheetmetal workers. LUCKILY

Funny how you make your own breaks and where differant paths along your life take you differant directions for good or bad. So many times you think what happens is making your life worse only to find that it was the best thing to happen and in all reality it was the best thing that could ever happen to you.

Its all a new adventure ....... don't look at it as a negative

For those guys who know what they want in this field, how do you go about obtaining it? For example, when I started out, I knew nothing HVACR related and ended up doing residential work which was great experience. But now that I'm trying to get back into the field, I want my 'specialty' to be more commercial/industrial. I am going to school in two weeks and for the last several months, I've been doing a lot of searching for companies that focus on those two areas who will also accept students/interns/helpers. I've had no luck as all the ads have been for residential work. Maybe I'm not searching in the right area but I'm sort of stuck as I know no one in the area who might be able to give me some leads. I'm not familiar with the different companies out there who work specialize in those areas. I guess I could get more information from my teacher when I start school but I don't want to have high hopes as the turn out usually isn't in my favor

With me, I took a different path than my family. We are all truck drivers. My parents had a shipping business, both could drive tractor -trailers.(Havent had that business since i was 5) My brother drove a straight truck and now drives a garbage truck. I was driving a tractor-trailer when we went to war. The Jersey ports starting slowing down because we werent doing the overseas commerce we used to. Chassis started stacking up in Port Elizabeth, containers started stacking up in Port Newark and trailer drivers werent needed anymore. My brother and I worked for the same company and they let me go and kept him because noone wanted to do the Brooklyn route.

I went to school for HVAC while on unemployment because i figured there was no offseason. 10 years later here i am.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

student at vatterott college. Im glad u guys have a place for a guy like me. THANKS !

I was working construction when a friend who drove a oil truck said he recommended me as a trainee at his company because the boss asked him if he new anyone with mechanical ability,well I used to help him fix his car.so I accepted a job cleaning oil furnaces,after 2 weeks was given a take home truck,lol that was 25 years or so ago.been learning ever since

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345