Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have 8 of these compressors,this is the only one that does this, the unit is in a tin can that the bottom is open to the outside. It is in El Segundo CA. The outside temp. Might get down to 47deg., I think it needs a oil heater package put on this unit. The unit seems to trip off at 1 or 2 AM. I will talk to my service rep. And see what He thinks--we still have a warranty on unit. Free fix !!L O L

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    My hunch is that your chiller ambient is below 50 degrees. Your oil pump is actually trying to pump liquid from the oil seperator. You probably need to add an oil heater to the seperator. Does yours have the automated logic controls on it?
    Good catch!!!!!!

Hello, I had a similar problemma, pre-lubrication of the pump collapsed retaining ring and the ball flew off with a spring hook on the lubricant to the compressor but the compressor is not passed to the oil filter when you turn on the lubrication that the ball overlaps the entrance to the compressor and the installation was published in error. There are photos but do not know how to add.

You need to let the service branch do it's job. You also need to properly inform them of your problems that you are facing. Are you using Carrier factory service for the repairs or the installing contractor (there is a difference). If you were having as many troubles as you are describing, the factory should have pulled the floundering tech and replaced with a more competent one. Complain to the branch manager of your service company for a more experienced tech. Sounds like an oil pump issue to me, that is where I would have started since it is on start up only.

model and serial of the unit may help got bunch of screw carrier information also experience ,please send picture if you can

Check the cooling tower sump heater. The towers should have sump heaters to keep the loop temp warm so you don't lose oil due to cold condenser temps. I have seen both failed heaters and also heaters that just aren't wired up so you get cold water in the condenser causing oil problems.

So only happening on circuit A? Both circuits oil pumps draw similar amps? Ever weighed the charge out of problem circuit(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by licensed to chill View Post
    I feel your pain. i have a pair of 30hxc machines doing the exact same things.
    i have swapped parts,replaced parts, sat on a 5 gallon bucket for hours with laptop hooked-up monitoring everything and still have not figured it out. Mainly on circuit "b".

Tech support gave up on me. My last option is to temporary install an ivue and trend all pressures. good luck.
    I was under the impression that carrier did not provide technical support on their chillers and that you basically had to make friends within carrier or come here........
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    I was under the impression that carrier did not provide technical support on their chillers and that you basically had to make friends within carrier or come here........
    They provide some .
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Cool 30hxc pre start lube failure

The pre start algorithm requires that the oil pressure rise at least 2 psi higher than the pressure BEFORE the oil solenoid opens. Thusly look for a 2 to 3 psi minimum increase after the oil solenoid energizes. Several things need to be verified. First perform a calibrate all transducers as described in the owners service manual. Secondly priming the oil pump circuit is accomplished only by pumping oil thru an evacuated hose. This hose is connected from the oil filter cavity back to the oil reservoir while running the oil pump in service test mode. Thirdly try configuring the condensor water pump to start with the compressor start(in config settings), rather than running condensor pump prior to compressot start. If you pump cold condensor water thru the condensor during pre lube you will chill the oil reservoir.. As a final thought 30HXC machines must control the condensor water flow control valve from the machine.
    If you are not getting satisfactory service do as the previous post says, contact the area branch manager.

Quote Originally Posted by nick770 View Post
    Hello, I had a similar problemma, pre-lubrication of the pump collapsed retaining ring and the ball flew off with a spring hook on the lubricant to the compressor but the compressor is not passed to the oil filter when you turn on the lubrication that the ball overlaps the entrance to the compressor and the installation was published in error. There are photos but do not know how to add.
    I have noticed this same problem... The ball stops to oil feed port at compressor and it block's oil feed to compressor.

I would try properly priming the oil pump circuit. With all of the work done you may just be losing an incomplete prime... To prime the oil pump connect from the 06n oil port schrader, located up by the internal oil filter. Connect the other end to the discharge line schrader located at entrance to to oil seperator. Clear the line (evacuate) and open schrader access port valves. Put the oil pump in service test and operate untill you are sure you have a solid flow of oil. The hxc with the "soleniod" looking pumps is easy to not achieve initial prime.

another possible problem can be the check valve down by the oil pump could be sticking part way open. If it is the oil pump will just pump back to itself and not build pressure. I have had only one that it happened to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12