Thread: Heat Pump frosting up

Post Likes

Heat Pump frosting up

Hello,

I have a Comfortmaker haet pump that keeps frosting up. I don't think the unit is automatically kicking in to defrost and the repairman says it's supposed to be frosted.

The repairman came out and said it wasn't defrsoting because it was low on Freon so he charged it. The next morning, the unit was a little frosty as the temperature got down to about 38 degrees. I called him back out and he said that was normal. Last night got to be about 30 degrees and I woke up to a frost heat pump (see picture). When I called the service company back, they said it's supposed to be frost and that I should always turn on my emergency heat when I expect the temperature to fall below 40 degrees.

My neighbor has an electric heat pump and never uses emergency heat and his unit is never forst.

Looking at the picture, does this look normal? It only seems like it defrosts when the temperature outside rises.

Post Likes
    Thread relocated to Residential AOP.

Post Likes
    That is not normal, you do not have to switch over to emergency heat at 40* as heatpumps are designed at rated capacity at 40*

You need another contractor and you might even be able to find one that offers a second opinion in your area?

We have a contractors locators map of the members here BTW.

Post Likes
    You need a better service company. Something is wrong with it.

Post Likes
    I didn't think so. Thanks! I just called my warranty company and they are going to send someone else out for a 2nd opinion.

Post Likes
    Here, we still leave the heat pump run when its 0°F outside.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by haleydo View Post
    I didn't think so. Thanks! I just called my warranty company and they are going to send someone else out for a 2nd opinion.
    theres you problem home warranty company ,the person that said go to emergency heat at 40 degrees is a idiot

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You need a better service company. Something is wrong with it.

Check out our Contractor Locator Map.

Post Likes
    You might as well bite the bullet now rather than wasting your time on the chumps the home warranty company will send out. There's another thread currently running on this site asking about a home warranty company. Read it and you'll understand that the problem is more with the warranty company and less with the industry. You're getting monkeys because they're paying peanuts. Pay the going rate, get a good, qualified tech on the job and you'll have your problem solved. Your time is valuable no doubt so stop wasting in trying to save a few bucks.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in