Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

North Carolina H3 Class 1 Exam study questions

I have all my books and have registered today for Triad One study class in March. I am in the process of getting my app. ready for the State Board Of Examiners.
    Really, what I want to know is what is everyones exam prep. reccomendations? What should I study most prior to March Triad class? Any pointers for the State App.? Studying? ANYTHING???? I am really excited, and nervous!!! I've got 10 years in the trade. Started as a rough in guy, then changeouts... Then took some C.C. Classes on service work and have been doing that for a few years now. Please let me know any pointers you may have for any aspect of my near future (ie. Studying, test taking, Triad Class, Anything I may encounter) ..... Thank you..... Gil

Study hard....

The cram courses are very fast paced and don’t allow a lot of time for any detail and very few questions. Also, the cram courses don’t really cover every possible item that can be on the test. In North Carolina (H3C1), there are two tests (as I’m sure you are aware) and the first one can be a bear because of the time restraints. You have one hour for 50 questions for the Business Law, Project Management, and Administrative Policies. If you don’t have the books memorized, you won’t make it in time looking up the answers.

The second test is 90 questions and you have four hours. Nice allotment of time for the number of questions. You need to know the material fairly well. Some of the questions are a bear because the answers are NOT in any of the books you are given. The questions can be from any of the reference materials listed in the back of all the code books.

Another kicker: The current H3C1 test uses Manual N fourth edition, starting in June they will use the fifth edition. I have not looked at the fifth edition so I don’t know the differences.

There is very little on repair and operation of anything. Most of the test is based on design and “How big, how long, how much, etc…” So, know how to perform a heat load calculation, air infiltration loads, glass loads, walls, roof, slab, and the like.

Know where to find all the tables for sizing everything. Gas lines, ducts, pipe support, compressed insulation….

Know the formulas for CFM to a room, BTUs to a room, BTUs for delta T, R to U, etc…..

Read the questions carefully. Some questions are asked in “inches” and the answers are in “feet”.

When you finish the test you will not be told “immediately” if you pass or not even though you are supposed to be. You have to sit and wonder for a few days waiting on the mail. I got a short simple little letter saying I passed and now to send in your money for your license! Seems everything is money driven for the State since they are close to broke.

Study hard and good luck.

On the State Borad's website it does tell you that a few of the books will be updated in June. So the exam will be using the updated material, of course. I hopefully will be taking the exam before June, but have not sent off my State app. as of today. I am waiting on Certified Background to disclose my background report. My boss man signed my papers and had them notorized and handed them to me today. When he handed them he told me to ask him for help if I need it, but to learn to navigate the code books!!!
    @Papa Fuse-- When you say memorize the books for the business test, I assume you are talking about the 'Laws & Rules' book and the 'Business, Law, and Project Management' book. Can you elaborate on that, or do you mean "MEMORIZE IT!!! or you won't pass!!!"?
    Thanks for the heads up on your previous statement! I can't tell you how excited and nervous I am at the same time!!!
    Hopefully the State App. will be in the mail early next week, the Triad One class is not until 3/3 and 3/4, so there's time to study (2 hours p/ night and I'm hoping that's enough)

Lern the stuff......

Yes, these two books......

'Laws & Rules' book and the 'Business, Law, and Project Management'

What I'm trying to say is learn it enough you can answer any question without having to look it up. You won't have enough time to look up every question.

At least memorize it enough to get 35 questions correct!

30 Days

One more thing.....

Once you are approved to sit for the exam you only have 30 days (or less) to take the exam. The State gives you 30 days but, PSIEXAMS may not have an exam date available when you want it. PSI has 10 seats in Fayetteville and give all sorts of different kinds of tests so if they fill up, they can't take anymore that day. Raleigh has 10 seats as well but I don't think they give the test in Raleigh...not real sure on that one.

You may want to get your 30 days to start on Feb. 15th or so. That gives you more time after the cram course to concentrate on practice exams and study what they taught you to study.

@ Papa Fuse... GREAT INFO man!!! Thank you! Where can I get practice exams? From Triad? Or is there another outlet? I gotta tell you, I really appreciate the info, I don't have a clue what to expect from this... My boss man is being REALLY helpfull, but I don't see him that often (maybe once a week).

2 more questions..... Can you use an ACCA ductulator during the exam, or do you use a Trane (or equivelant)?
    and
    Is there a place that you can see the actual dates of the PSIEXAM? Or is it fly by the seat of my pants for now?

All the cram course places have practice exams. TriadOne will provide several for you. Also, as soon as you get accepted to sit for the exam, all the other cram course places that inhabit every corner of the world will cover you up offering you THEIR cram course, books, and practice exams at prices that will make your head spin. Just do a web search for NC H3C1 and they'll pop up.

PSIEXAMS furnishes all the books, a ductulator (not a Trane thing), a calculator, ONE sheet of scratch paper and ONE pencil. You have to sign for the paper and return it; if you need more you can get it. Pencils are replacable as well.

You can go to www.psiexams.com and find out if they have a space available and on all the dates they have available. You have to register at the site to set up the exam but you don't have to register to find out if a date is available.

More clues: Buy the calculator the State furnishes and practice with it. It's a TI-30XIIS scientific (non-programmable) available at Wal-Mart for less than the cost of a case of beer. The calculator is a little bit different than the basic accounting calculator so it's good to know how it works instead of figuring it out while the clock is running.

One thing that I did was memorize the page numbers in the code books and Manual J, N and D where the formulas were so I could open the books to those pages before the clock started.

The start of the test is a "practice" test so you understand how the testing computer works. This time is not counted against you and it gives you time to open the books to "your" pages. Then get started on the practice test.

Later, in the real test, you don't have to hunt for the formulas.

Finished the Laws & Rules book this weekend.... Alot different than a Kerouac book!!! Just skimming it, it did scare me a bit with all the G.S #'s and all... But reading it was alot easier than I anticipated. Is it only neccesary to memorize the HVAC content (and fuel), or could they throw in a sprinkler question for good measure?
    Also, thanks for the heads up on the calculator, I did put my hands on one from Rite Aid @ $20.00.

I took Triads classes for my H3 and H2, The key is to study. The study questions they will give you cover 95% of the test. The trick isn't to learn the material as much as memorize where everything is located in the books. The business portion gets a lot of people, just study the practice questions. The state won't get in a hurry on your app so you have plenty of time. You'll do fine. Good luck.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

No plumbing or fire sprinkler....

Nope.... nothing about fire sprinkler or plumbing. I'm glad they didn't since it's not a test about that.

The only thing with pipe is what's used in HVAC like condensate drains, gas pipe size, etc. With gas pipe, they didn't ask what size based on BTUs it was in therms.

Two questions were not "reviewed" by anyone...... one question was duplicated and the second question wanted to know the heat gain through the windows in office #112 but, the drawing showing the building didn't have any windows in office #112. So, I calculated other windows to see if any matched and they didn't. So, I just picked an answer and went on.

Don't let the GS#s scare you, they don't use them in the tests.

Triad sent me a confirmation for the class!!!! There is computer based training, which is GREAT b/c it is some direction on what I should really be concentrating on. They mention NOT highlighting your books but rather using pencil as so you can erase it during the practice exams. Would I be doing myself a disservice by using highlighter anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by elevatedvagabond View Post
    Triad sent me a confirmation for the class!!!! There is computer based training, which is GREAT b/c it is some direction on what I should really be concentrating on. They mention NOT highlighting your books but rather using pencil as so you can erase it during the practice exams. Would I be doing myself a disservice by using highlighter anyway?
    No clue..... I gues this is personal taste. What ever way you want to study or preserve your code books.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast