Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused newby, which system is better for you $$$$

Hello all, i live in Texas close to Galveston and my 20 yr 3 ton Rheem went out. I'm getting bids on replacing both evap. and cond. along with gas heat exchanger, we'll the whole thing. The issue i am having is everyone has a different brand. I was looking at a 3 ton 14.5 seer. would a 14 seer be just as good? which brand is better for your $$$? But that will perform and last. Thanks

Dont worry about brand. Find yourself a good reputable contractor whom you are sure will do the job right. This includes doing a load calculation on your home. Choosing the right contractor is 10 times more important than choosing a brand. Check out the contractor locator on this site and that should give you a few places to start. Good luck

Just Opinion, This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    Why not another rheem, which may last you 20 years. The old one did.
    That's right, Rheem hasn't changed anything in the past 20 years.....well, at least they are still owned by a Japanese company

As has been stated, brand means nothing. Go with the contractor that you like the best and let them install the brand that they normally deal with.

I would be questioning contractors as to how they will specifically address indoor air quality in your home. Efficiency is good, but if you are not comfortable because a higher efficiency system is not set up properly to reduce humidity levels or because the furnace is oversized and noisy, you are not going to benefit from the efficiency either.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    That's right, Rheem hasn't changed anything in the past 20 years.....well, at least they are still owned by a Japanese company
    About the only thing changed is production, almost everything made in Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    almost everything made in Mexico!
    York is at the very least assembled in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    About the only thing changed is production, almost everything made in Mexico!
    Did they close down the Fort Smith plant?

I actually like the way Rheem has kept up with the times while maintaining a similar look. The insides of any brands today is not much different then they were 20 years ago. I think Rheem was one of the first to get rid of the contactor and was the first to fully embrace using all scroll compressors on the Rheem branded equipment.

Still, overall, until we get into variable capacity compressors, they are all pretty much the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    York is at the very least assembled in the USA
    All of the JCI brands even went so far as to close down their coil manufacturing plant in Mexico to have better control over coil issues in the U.S.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's reply. The contractors I'm getting bids on are good local contractors it's just they all have there preferences in what unit they like better. They all said they would put what ever brand i want,"Goodman - Amana, Heil, Trane, Lennex etc. I just want a good reliable unit.

Quote Originally Posted by obandit View Post
    Thanks for everyone's reply. The contractors I'm getting bids on are good local contractors it's just they all have there preferences in what unit they like better. They all said they would put what ever brand i want,"Goodman - Amana, Heil, Trane, Lennex etc. I just want a good reliable unit.
    All of those manufacturer's make comparable equipment. As I stated, question the contractors as to what their intentions are to give you a system that is designed and set up to do the most for heating, cooling, dehumidifying, filtering and even more importantly, are any of these companies addressing ventilation in your home?

Best for the money?
    Keep the hear out,good insulation,Windows,and minimize air leaks,Impo.
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

ventalation

RoBo so far not one has said anything about ventilation. They looked at my attic to see how the old unit is placed, the duct, and looked at the cond. unit. Other than that it seems that they just want to put in anything that they use or whatever i want.

Robin, Ft. Smith is the only remaining US plant. Furnace production is being yanked from there going south. That leaves gas packs and the rest of light commercial only thing left in US.

What all does York make south?

As for bandit, I'd look for a dealer who has done a load calc, is quoting mid to premium equipment within whatever brand he or you choose and you are most comfortable with. The equipment is all pretty similarly built these days, cheaply. So the best install is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast