+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sensor upgrade for ak 900

Post Likes

Sensor upgrade for ak 900

Please can someone post details on modifying the temp sensors for the AK's.
    I know it has been talked about here, but I don't have the patience to scan through the 250 page digi-cool thread.
    Maybe we could get some of you guys who have accomplished this deed to share on a specific thread.
    Thanks
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    What modifications, exactly, are you thinking of?

Post Likes
    I got the contact cement, 2'' aluminum spring clamps from Harbor Freight, along with heat shrink tubing for marking one of the wires with red for the high side, and for the connections that needed to be soildered at each end of the wire. I used shrink tubing instead of using electrical tape. I got the 6.5'' attenuating dubbing cable from radio shack. I got the Bernzomatic butane micro flame torch from Home Depot, it was perfect for this project. For the clamps I drilled out the center of the clamp where the temp sensor is so it could be somewhat more flush mounted instead of sticking up so high, then used the contact cement to mount in place.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCHVAC View Post
    I got the contact cement, 2'' aluminum spring clamps from Harbor Freight, along with heat shrink tubing for marking one of the wires with red for the high side, and for the connections that needed to be soildered at each end of the wire. I used shrink tubing instead of using electrical tape. I got the 6.5'' attenuating dubbing cable from radio shack. I got the Bernzomatic butane micro flame torch from Home Depot, it was perfect for this project. For the clamps I drilled out the center of the clamp where the temp sensor is so it could be somewhat more flush mounted instead of sticking up so high, then used the contact cement to mount in place.
    Wouldn't it be possible to do this without soldering??

Just remove the sensor from the factory strap, and insert it into the Harbor Freight Clamp? I am sure there was a good reason for soldering, I just missed it.

Post Likes
    knave Those had the old wiring and guys were going to a different wire between the clamp handle and plug so a splice needed to be made.

What are you trying to do kamersoutdoor?
    Seen many different mods.
    Basically.....Two wires per sensor no polarity if cutting.....limited only by your imagination.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I was thinking of getting an extra set of sensor. I was going to put female plug on ak900 side. I then could use Cooper sensors. I then was going to make a pipe clamp with male plug. Of course I would have extra sensor in case I screwed it up. I just need to buy the thing. I never buy anything unless I have it in my head it will work

Post Likes
    Does anyone know what kind of sensor will work. If I have a ntc sensor will that work???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac17011 View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of sensor will work. If I have a ntc sensor will that work???
    Cooper temp sensors work fine. It can't be a thermocouple sensor, it has to be a thermistor... and if the ohms curve matches up to digicool or coopers sensor, you should be fine. Good Luck

Post Likes
    For market dudes, CPC sensors work

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    knave Those had the old wiring and guys were going to a different wire between the clamp handle and plug so a splice needed to be made.

What are you trying to do kamersoutdoor?
    Seen many different mods.
    Basically.....Two wires per sensor no polarity if cutting.....limited only by your imagination
    Would like to maybe go with the headphone plug style and a more durable wire. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what has worked for others.

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Will these work?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ELI...ZY4?Pid=search

I know nothing here, so please bare with me.
    What are the ohm ratings for digi's sensors.

A Einstein

Post Likes
    No those are PTC Thermistors
    You are looking for 10,000 Ω NTC Thermistors
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Thanks Ice

A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible to do this without soldering??

Just remove the sensor from the factory strap, and insert it into the Harbor Freight Clamp? I am sure there was a good reason for soldering, I just missed it.
    I dont see how it would be possable to not solder the connections. Soldering the conncections is the best thing to do.

Yes remove the sensor from the factory strap and insert it into the clamp after moding the clamp so the sensor is more flush mounted. I replaced the wired because I thought the original wire was not strong enough, so I used those headphone style wires that had a piece of insulation around them all ready for strength.

Post Likes
    I was thinking of getting an extra set of sensor. I was going to put female plug on ak900 side. I then could use Cooper sensors. I then was going to make a pipe clamp with male plug. Of course I would have extra sensor in case I screwed it up. I just need to buy the thing. I never buy anything unless I have it in my head it will work

My first try at this mod was male to female 3.5mm plug connections. This did not work out at all. When I had it hooked up this way all the sensor info was MIA. When I removed the male to female connctions it worked fine again. Someone was telling me about how those connctions are noise cancling connections or when put together ground out in a way. This is how I understood it anyway. Also fould out from another thread this only has an impact on the AK-900, and not the 1250. If anyone finds a way to do male to female connections please post pics so I cant follow.

Post Likes
    Are you saying you cannot use the Cooper 1/8 male mono plug and install a female plug close to ak900

Post Likes
    Are you saying you cannot use the Cooper 1/8 male mono plug and install a female plug close to ak900
    Im just saying that when I used what I have in the pic below it didnt work. I had the female out of the manifold then male plugging into that, then a 6ft piece of wire, and at the end of the wire was the stock sensor.

Post Likes
    What about the panel mount jacks at radio shack. They shouldn't have any circuitry inside to cause that problem. You would just have to be willing to drill a hole in the digicool to mount them. Put it on the bottom so rain doesnt have a place to enter.

I dont know if it would work for sure but Id rather have the jacks on the bottom. One on each side. Seems like it would be less strain on the wires.

USB jacks might work too but probably harder to mount the female to the digicool.

Post Likes
    I don't even have a ak900 yet but I had Brenda send me a spare plug. I wanted to come out of plug. I then was going to install 1/8" female plugs. I then could plug my coopers in. I then was going to come up with a clamp and install male plugs.It doesnt sound like that would work.I guess I should just buy it first

Post Likes
    You saying they sell spare plugs for the ak900? That s**it ticks me off. I wouldnt have taken the plug off of my velcro straps had I known that. Starting to feel like a circus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in