+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: purge on cvhe

SFTB is offline Bad email address, please contact Admin to fix
    Post Likes
    If you leak check again check the threads on float of the purge. They tend to leak worse as the purge cylinder cools down. If you are running then hopefully it is in a positive pressure or close to it but if chiller was shut down tank could fill with air rather quickly. I've pulled vacuum alot of times just to have this cause leak check to fail. No, about the third time it happen I decided to pull the float on every rebuild and liberally apply teflon tape to try to resolve.

Post Likes
    Pull the purge into a vacuum and see if it holds.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Post Likes
    This may be stating the obvious, but if chiller is truly "leak free", purge is not needed. Having cut my teeth on R-11 units, I've found 123 units to be mystifying. The refrigerant just does not behave the same. Leak testing and purging can both be exasperating. Post does not specify operating mode selected or if purge operation is as frequent with chiller running or idle, items that would tend to steer my diagnosis towards either a leak in the chiller or an ineffective purge unit.

Post Likes
    Thx for the SB - pretty sure I've covered most of it except #8 - vapor or liquid connections below the liquid level in the chiller condenser - and maybe a leak after the solenoid(s). They were running the condenser water way below design when I walked up on this one ( bypass actuator control line reversed), so it's not hard to believe that they were stacking in the condenser;however, that was corrected before charge was pulled, so connections should be above the liquid level. Havent been on this one since Weds., but I'm told that the contractors pulled a vacuum on the purge which didn't hold, and have declared thier theory about the 134a leaking into the tank to be the cause of the problem. If the PO hasnt been issued for a new purge, I'm gonna pressurize the purge. Gotta be a leak there somewhere.

Post Likes
    In your first statement you said the machine lost 300 lbs of refrigerant. This would indicate the leak is on the high side of the machine where ever the refrigerant was positive. If on the low side then it would have sucked in air only. Was the unit leaked checked while running? Just because it holds a vacuum does not mean it does not leak. Check solenoid valves, gaskets etc.
    Does the purge leak purge more when first started and less and less as the machine runs (indicates leak is on the high side) or does it purge all the time indicating the leak is on the low side.
    If the purge was loosing the R134a to the chiller then it would not purge at all as the suction temperature would not drop as there is no heat transfer in the purge tank.

Post Likes
    Purge soleniods are common leakers. The purge orifice could be plugged up not allowing it to vent.
    " Guess I will have to bust out my brand new Meriman mercury manometer!"
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Post Likes
    You can't even spell Merriam.......Send me that thing so I can teach it some good habits.

Post Likes
    I've a spare crystal ball if needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in