Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Digital Gauges

Fellas, this may sound like a dumb question, forgive me. I've been considering the SMAN4 but how do you use one manifold/hose set with the various refrigerants and not cross contaminant? Does that mean a nitrogen purge with each use? Also, whats your opinion on using the built in micron gauge? Is it stable and can you change the sensor if it gets out of whack? Thanks.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron223 View Post
    Fellas, this may sound like a dumb question, forgive me. I've been considering the SMAN4 but how do you use one manifold/hose set with the various refrigerants and not cross contaminant? Does that mean a nitrogen purge with each use? Also, whats your opinion on using the built in micron gauge? Is it stable and can you change the sensor if it gets out of whack? Thanks.
    cross contamination is an old wives tale.

If you've got enough oil in your hoses to create a problem then you need to seriously re-think your service practices...

Best practices dictate not pulling a vacuum through your manifold and not placing the micron gauge near the pump. Built-in micron gauges encourage both practices.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

If you've got enough oil in your hoses to create a problem then you need to seriously re-think your service practices...

Best practices dictate not pulling a vacuum through your manifold and not placing the micron gauge near the pump. Built-in micron gauges encourage both practices.
    Unless of course you just checked oil pressure...... :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Unless of course you just checked oil pressure...... :grin:
    And, if you've just checked oil pressure and you don't take a minute to use the running system to clean out your manifold and hoses, you might want to reconsider your service practices....

Fair enough. Where could I find the best practices your citing to learn more?
    Ron

And, if you've just checked oil pressure and you don't take a minute to use the running system to clean out your manifold and hoses, you might want to reconsider your service practices....

Haha....Good comeback JP.

Thanks.
    Ron

mixing oils isn't an issue. don't worry about it. mineral and poe oils will mix just fine without any issues.

i would worry more about having gauges on a burnout, then not purging and connecting to a clean system....introducing acid to the clean system.

using a vacuum tree with a micron gauge (with the gauge farthest from the pump) will get the fastest results.....but vacuuming and valving off will show the same results.....eventually.

take some time to check out RSES (Refrigeration Service Engineers Society) Alot of questions being asked in this thread are quickly answered as a member.

choice of gauges? there are lots of them. do your research and make your choice based on what features you feel are most important.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    mixing oils isn't an issue. don't worry about it. mineral and poe oils will mix just fine without any issues.

i would worry more about having gauges on a burnout, then not purging and connecting to a clean system....introducing acid to the clean system.

using a vacuum tree with a micron gauge (with the gauge farthest from the pump) will get the fastest results.....but vacuuming and valving off will show the same results.....eventually.

take some time to check out RSES (Refrigeration Service Engineers Society) Alot of questions being asked in this thread are quickly answered as a member.

choice of gauges? there are lots of them. do your research and make your choice based on what features you feel are most important.
    I registered for some upcoming seminars with RSES. I was also looking at their memberships. Could you help me understand what I'm getting by such a high cost of membership if you are a member? Feel free to PM it if this thread is not the right place for such discussion. Thanks.
    Ron

access to RSES.org, access to the SAMS manual (about 5,000 pages of info on everything HVAC/R), access to meetings, and other members that can lend a helping hand, Continuing Education hours towards NATE, and other certs. and much more. RSES gives to you as much as you give to it. If you're willing to keep learning, you'll never regret the investment.

Personally, I most enjoy getting some time with older guys that have been in the business for years longer than me......just talkin with other techs, one on one, during the meetings gives me tips, tricks,and info I never might have picked up otherwise.

Alright, thanks Chops. I'll look further into it.
    Ron

Thank you for this link. My understanding of the refrigerant side of things could use some work, and seeing this sort of thing helps.

I had been pulling a vacuum using a manifold before now. That made a lot of things clear, and once I start doing work on refrigerant again I'm definitely investing in a micron gauge for pulling a vacuum. I've been mostly stuck on the furnace and water heaters for a couple years now so I've gotten somewhat rusty and pretty out of touch with proper practices.

Anyway, just wanting to leave a thank you note.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast