Hmm How were you treated?

Just curious since I have been reading a lot of employer/employee threads. If you were laid off were you treated with dignity and respect or were you treated as a common criminal on your way out. Just comparing experiences since I experienced a little of both.

well they never ever used the word "FIRED" so they have some bit of feeling in there toes...but i've fired companies,and that's where this thread of guys pulling the plug on them(owners).have had very quiet...good luck...hand shakes,and then Brodway production exits from both sides....i left my van up on a gated office lot with cell and stuff up on dash...the owner turned the corner,and 15 service trucks were lined up behind mine...he thought there was a union lockout..but NO God forbide he calls to talk stuff out....tell you, the less noise you make on the way out the more it rocks the shop!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I have been treated very fairly both ways. In our union environment, it is well understood that you are only employed as long as the work is there, and you produce. Typical layoffs were ---notification friday morning that today is last day. check issued after lunch and done. no fanfare. Most guys work til the end of business, due to the way we come to market. We are open solicitation, which means you get jobs on your reputation. good guys work, idiots stay home. why beat up a hand that fed you well for the last x amount of time? you can always be hired back when they have more work.

Big difference between "laid off" and "fired". Never been fired and only laid off once for two weeks. Weather delay on a job...
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

been laid off fired quit, the whole round about. I finally learned that I had to fend for myself because working for a company it's about what have you done for me lately. Nobody cares if you ain't bringing in the bread baby, personal problems tough titty, I thank God for the last hvac job I had because It lasted one day and the owner tells me that I don't know my way around an attic I can't use you. One of the other guys stepped through a recessed light and blamed it on me and the boss beleived him cause I'm 6-4 280#'s Whatever that was that. I have never looked back . I wanted to beat the dude for blaming me but I GOT OVER IT.

Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    been laid off fired quit, the whole round about. I finally learned that I had to fend for myself because working for a company it's about what have you done for me lately. Nobody cares if you ain't bringing in the bread baby, personal problems tough titty.
    That's reality, no matter where you're working.

That includes owners.....Customers have the same attitude....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I know the feeling about liars. I too learned a lession about fending for yourself. I once worked in a shop where the best buddy of the service manager was a perpetual liar. If he was'nt driving off new help or stabing others in the back it did'nt matter, he was the cat's meow in the eyes of the SM. The owner was only told a different reasoning behind consistent turnover of techs. I figured eventually karma will get his ass. Still waiting, LOL.

before i got into HVAC i would be at a job an average of 2 to 3 years.

the currect trend in the HVAC world is to put on an act like you did something wrong to get "fired" , when they just want to lay you off because it's slow.

(some states have labor laws that says they're supposed to tell you if the job is temporary)

i managed to survive for 5 years and i now qualify for a contractor's license.

Never been laid off ,never been fired 26 plus years two different companies. Wait there was that one time when I was 16-17 washing dishes at a catering hall and I got caught in the coat closet with one of the drunk female guest during a wedding. Got fired.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!