Becket Burner w/ Tiger Loop still quits...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Becket Burner w/ Tiger Loop still quits...

I have a house with a 275 gallon oil tank, and a forced air oil fired furnace (Thermopride). Standard oil burner setup. A single line has always fed both the furnace and an oil fired water heater. The furnace burner sits about 18 inches off the floor. The water heater burner is at floor level, the oil tank about 7" above the floor. Early this winter the furnace was losing prime and the oil company thought maybe it was a leaky fitting, and also recommended getting the line above slab level and therefore up to code. They ran a single overhead line to both burners...no tiger loop.

The furnace continued to get airbound (within days), so they installed Tiger Loops on both burners. After several months, the furnace (only) is quitting again. It happens when two conditions exist... warm weather (furnace sits for a long time) and a relatively low tank level (a few inches lower than the burner level).

Any ideas on this one would be much appreciated!

Airbound with tigerloop? Do you see oil inside tigerloop plastic dome? Someone forgot to install bypass plug?

have they done a vac test? sounds like you might want to ask for a differant tech.

Zibby - I know! Airbound with the Tiger Loop seems (almost) impossible. There is oil in the dome but not much. Lots of Air. I will have them check the bypass... that would certainly do it.

snubytcb - Right on the money.

I was thinking three things: Either 1.) The overhead line is not primed properly and it gets a (really) large slug of air once in a while (after a fill?), 2.) The pump is shot, or 3.) There is garbage in the tank outlet that restricts the flow.

Also - The water heater never dies... but the burner is much lower in elevation. Just the furnace.

Vac test is a great idea. Thanks guys!

If WH works then oil tank looks ok. Tigerloop wil take care of priming. Check vac for furnace line, and see if bypass plug was installed.

There is an air leak in the feed line some where. Needs a vac test.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Could be a bad pump seal.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If I'm understanding this correctly, there is a single overhead oil line that is tee'd off to feed two different units, is that correct? If I'm understanding you correctly, I'd suspect the water heater burner is stealing oil from the warm air furnace when the furnace is off for a while. When the furnace is operating periodically, no problem? That could be because the amount of oil 'borrowed' from the furnace TL isn't enough to cause it to be starved on the next start-up. But when it sits for a few days, the oil level in the TL drops and it takes a cycle or two to reprime it. I'd recommend a check valve in the suction line on the furnace. I think that will solve your problem. Unless you've got two entirely distinct oil lines from tank to burner, in which case my understanding of the system set-up was erroneous. In that case, humbly beg your pardon.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    If I'm understanding this correctly, there is a single overhead oil line that is tee'd off to feed two different units, is that correct? If I'm understanding you correctly, I'd suspect the water heater burner is stealing oil from the warm air furnace when the furnace is off for a while. When the furnace is operating periodically, no problem? That could be because the amount of oil 'borrowed' from the furnace TL isn't enough to cause it to be starved on the next start-up. But when it sits for a few days, the oil level in the TL drops and it takes a cycle or two to reprime it. I'd recommend a check valve in the suction line on the furnace. I think that will solve your problem. Unless you've got two entirely distinct oil lines from tank to burner, in which case my understanding of the system set-up was erroneous. In that case, humbly beg your pardon.
    Your understanding is correct... and I think that this is exactly what is happening. If the pump leaks air (bad seal), and the WH goes through several cycles while the furnace is idle, air may be drawn into the TL in large volume. Also, this happens most when the tank level is BELOW the furnace burner (by several inches). Never a problem when it is cold outside/furnace running often.

The tech is due in later this week. He will 1.) Check the bypass, 2.) vac test, and 3.) look at the pump. I am also thinking of running dedicated lines. Why fool around... not a very far distance... cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Could be a bad pump seal.
    Absolutely... will check.

Update

UPDATE:

Thanks to all who commented. This forum is fantastic.

1.) The bypass plug was present on both the furnace and WH.
    2.) The tech indicated that there is no leak in the line from the oil tank to Furnace and WH. Holds vacuum.
    3.) Overhead line was fully primed when he arrived. Not an issue.
    4.) The pump (on the furnace) appears to be shot and he replaced it.

I will post results in a week or so.

Impo,loops mask problem,if problem is gone,,I'd be willing that loops weren't needed jb the first place.howlong did systems work w/o loops before you experienced problems?
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

And if system was operating properly w/o loops,I'd be damned if I wasn't refunded my money for something I didn't need
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast