+ Reply to Thread

Thread: f.p keeps going out

Post Likes

f.p keeps going out

i have a FMI direct vent fireplace about 15 years old. it has always worked well except for this year, the main flame keeps going out. Sometimes it will run for up to 10 mins and then go out....sometimes it will not even light. i replaced the thermopile (power-pile) but that didn't help. The pilot stays lit no problem. I have cleaned off the contacts and snugged things up but no luck. Before i spend $200 on a new gas valve (SIT 820 nova) is there anything else i can try?

thanks

Post Likes
    You can keep going and eventually have a new fireplace by changing out all the parts...this costs $$$

Or you could call a service company to do it right and save you some dough.

Your choice.

Post Likes
    so do you mean by "doing it right" i should replace the whole fireplace? As a qualified gasfitter (industrial not residential) i am pretty confident i can replace a gas valve. I was just open to other suggestions before replacing it.

thanks

Post Likes
    what do you use for a switch? check all connections disconnect and reconnect all spade fittings, if you use a standard light switch to turn in on and off with check and/or replace that.

Post Likes
    thanks Darth...

you were right on the money with the light switch.. i bypassed it using a merret and ithasn't shut off since.. i guess i should buy a Mv switch next.

Cheers

Post Likes
    Np, glad it was an easy fix

Post Likes
    lol...i bet the switch that failed was a decora style.....i found 50% failure in those....toggle is the way to go....

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in