Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennox furnace blower rattling noise

Post Likes

Lennox furnace blower rattling noise

I hav a Lennox G5OUH series gas furnace. I recently noticed a funny noise coming from the vents when it was running. I went downstairs and took a look at the furnice. All the lights are operating normaly and the noise sounds like a bearing or something is rattling loose. It seems to be emanating from where the blower is. It only happens when the blower turns on.

Anyone know of any common problems with the blowers on these Lennox furnices. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    After further research. The noise is coming from the combustion air inducer. The noise stops when this unit stops, the blower is still on. I"m just looking for some insight, I'm not trying to fix it myself. I just want to be informed when I call in the morning.

Post Likes
    you will want to have a service provider come out and check it, could be as simple as a insect nest in the wheel of the combustion blower that needs to be cleaned and removed, to the inducer itself out of balance or bad bearings, there is a contractor locator on this site that will tell you if there are any members in your area that can repair it for you!
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks hvacman. I'm hoping it will just be a simple cleaning procedure by the tech. What should I expect to pay? $100-$200?

Just this weekend we had a fairly large hurricane like weather for 2-3 days. 50-60mph sustained winds and gust up to 75mph. Could these winds have blown something down the exhaust vent into the inducer?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion125 View Post
    Could these winds have blown something down the exhaust vent into the inducer?
    Thanks
    Yes! in Houston I find pine needles in them all the time.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Well the tech found some dirt and debris in there but nothing major. He said the inducer fan is out of balance, it has a wobble. He thinks this is what was causing the vibration/rattling sound. $********for parts/labor.

Pricing not allowed, please

Mod
    Last edited by Special-K; 02-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Post Likes
    were not allowed to discuss pricing in these post, because differnt regions have differnt rates, you will want to edit out the pricing in your post or a moderator will come along and take it out for you,

Glad that you have found out what the issue is

Gary

Post Likes
    Sorry about that. I"ve included a video of the inducer wobble. Seems like this is the problem. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfKmm...ature=youtu.be

Post Likes
    yes , thats appears to be the issue, have your tech replace it now, before it goes out on a friday night when its 10 degrees outside, that will save you the afterhours overtime rates!

Post Likes
    The oem 24W95 lennox inducer motor assembly costs about $$$$
    But I found a PACKARD 66501 Lennox Direct Replacement Draft Inducer 115 Volts 3000 RPM for $$$$

Has anyone used a packard Inducer?

Post Likes
    Pricing is not permitted here, nor are direct purchase links

Post Likes
    okay then. Has anyone used a PACKARD Direct Replacement Draft Inducer?

Post Likes
    Considering this machine burns fuel and heats your home, I wouldn't use anything other than the oem parts. If the aftermarket part doesn't perform to the mfg specs you will be endangering the lives of you and your family. Aftermarket parts have there place. Just not as a key component of the combustion cycle

Post Likes
    After further research. The noise is coming from the combustion air inducer. The noise stops when this unit stops, the blower is still on. I"m just looking for some insight, I'm not trying to fix it myself. I just want to be informed when I call in the morning.
    Here you said you weren't trying to fix it yourself???

Why are you trying to find the part to buy online???
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Gunner: The tech just diagnosed the problem. I don't have the $$$ to pay what he was asking for the repair right now. I'm not asking for help doing the actual repair, just info on the replacement Inducer.

hvacman: From the research I've done Lennox is't exactly the best brand either. Packard makes many aftermarket parts for a variety of different appliances, the reviews look very good.

Post Likes
    he already has it out of the furnace............obviously he's doing it himself.

prepare for lock down.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    It doesn't matter if its the best or worst. It is designed for the furnace. The volume and velocity of air for the furnace to achieve the most complete combustion and efficiency. The aftermarket will work but at what cost to machine efficiency. Is the savings now worth the increased operating cost and shorteningof the furnace . Is it worth the risk of a life should a problem arise and CO gets in the home ? Like I said before aftermarket parts have there place, just not as a key component!

Post Likes
    I understand where your coming from hvacman, good points.
    Anyone have an idea how the fan became off balance. Something fell down the exhaust vent? Also why is there a round hole in one of the blades? Notice the chips on the blades.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Likes
    That fan has horrible working conditions. It very hot, flue gases can be acidic, over time the metal breaks down resulting in an out of balance situation. As for the hole. Thats where the factory attaches the wheel to the housing

Post Likes
    Also why is there a round hole in one of the blades? Notice the chips on the blades.

H'mmm let me think, now this is just one of those wild, out yonder guesses, and I know I might be wrong, but I am taking a shot at it. You think that hole might be for getting to the Allen screw holding the wheel onto the motor?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in