Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    plano,IL
    Posts
    28

    Refrigeration/comm hvac work in chicagoland???

    I know this is slow season but after talking with my service mgr it may not be a bad idea to look around.

    Anyone out there know of any refrigeration/commercial shops that need guys?
    Currently I have been doing convenient store work. I do not have experience on rack systems but would like to learn and get into some supermarket refrigeration. I am a service journeyman out of SMW265 ,I know that a lot of places prefer 597 or 501 but cant change that now.

    any leads would be appreciated
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,627
    Climate Pros has the most of the supermarket accounts in the area. Last I heard they were on a hiring freeze.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    california
    Posts
    223
    Wow a sheet metal worker doing service work ?? You are a rare breed..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205
    Honestly if you're Sheet Metal Works - HVAC, but you're doing Pipe Trades - HVACR work, then you're going to fall out of favor w/the L#597 signatories.
    My shop wants to expand real soon into commercial refrigeration, maybe you'd be interested. That's a MES Serviceman, which is an L#597 B-Card equivalent. The wage is about $3 over B-Card. Let me know if I'm not offending you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,317
    The Chicago sheet metal locals both have Service Apprenticeship programs.

    Not exactly sure where the "cutoff" between sheet metal service and pipefitter service is supposed to be, but 5 tons sticks in my head. Sheet metal gets 5 tons and below, pipefitters get above 5 ton split systems.

    prounionelp, You guys looking?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    The Chicago sheet metal locals both have Service Apprenticeship programs.

    Not exactly sure where the "cutoff" between sheet metal service and pipefitter service is supposed to be, but 5 tons sticks in my head. Sheet metal gets 5 tons and below, pipefitters get above 5 ton split systems.

    prounionelp, You guys looking?
    Did you mean that both Sheet Metal Works & Pipe Trades Locals in Chicago have HVAC service apprenticeships? If so, all that does is create problems in the field. Just look @ Cement Masons for example, both the Plasterers & Cement Masons Union, & the Bricklayers Union claim these workers.
    Just food for thought, what do you think about an HVACR Union? Do you think it's possible?
    Yes, the shop is looking to expand into the commercial & engineered service sectors. Right now, we only attract non-union guys & true C-Card guys this is because we're @ the limitations of the shop - residential/light commercial up to 25 tons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by prounionelp View Post
    Did you mean that both Sheet Metal Works & Pipe Trades Locals in Chicago have HVAC service apprenticeships? If so, all that does is create problems in the field. Just look @ Cement Masons for example, both the Plasterers & Cement Masons Union, & the Bricklayers Union claim these workers.
    Just food for thought, what do you think about an HVACR Union? Do you think it's possible?
    Yes, the shop is looking to expand into the commercial & engineered service sectors. Right now, we only attract non-union guys & true C-Card guys this is because we're @ the limitations of the shop - residential/light commercial up to 25 tons.
    Yes, 265, 73, 597 and 501 all cover "HVAC service". "HVAC service" is a pretty big playing field. There are probably supposed to be some boundaries- the 5 ton thing sticks in my mind.

    Both 501 and 597 have marquee signs advertising HVAC and HVAC contractors... not necessarily "plumbing" or "pipefitting". 501 has a HVAC training facility at Farnsworth and 56. I have been inside of the 597 facility, and it sure looks like they are more than capable of teaching HVAC stuff there.

    The electricians also have a HVAC training program.

    Yes, I see issues with this. But, I do not see a merged HVACR union yet. Too much politics and the members that get merged will be the ones holding the short end of the stick as far as pensions go. New members of a merged entity will be fine.

    The sheet metal people changed their 4 year service apprenticeship to a 5 year. Yup, it got rid of the lower paid service classification, but I suspect that the service guys are working fewer hours because of it.

    I hear that 597 has a lower paid service classification, but I have not been able to confirm that.

    I am considering 597. Maybe a little late, but... it is a possibility.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205
    I believe HVACR can have it's own Union. Right now, we have the majority in the Pipe Trades Union, then some in the Sheet Metal Works Union, a few (BAS Techs) in the Electricians Union, & even a handful in the Operating Engineers Union. Shoot there might even be some in what seems to be other completely unrelated locals!
    L#597's Service Journeyman (A-Card) is approximately $44/hr on-the-check & $24 in fringes including a monster $14/hr to retirement. Is the Sheet Metal Works Journeyman just as high?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,317
    Sheet metal is about $41 + bennies. Total pkg is ~$65 ish. Do not have a current wage sheet.

    I see a HVACR or HVACR Service union further splintering the industry. The existing building trades + service will be more limited to building trades only. Smaller number of people working.

    My email is in my profile.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    plano,IL
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by prounionelp View Post
    Honestly if you're Sheet Metal Works - HVAC, but you're doing Pipe Trades - HVACR work, then you're going to fall out of favor w/the L#597 signatories.
    My shop wants to expand real soon into commercial refrigeration, maybe you'd be interested. That's a MES Serviceman, which is an L#597 B-Card equivalent. The wage is about $3 over B-Card. Let me know if I'm not offending you.
    As stated before SMW is at 41 on the check. What is B card wages at? what kind of difference are we talking, and how do i explain that to the wife, LOL
    I am always interested in working and working 40+ for slightly lower wage is better than 41 and only doing 2-3 days a week. My email is in my profile o feel free to end any info that way too. Who knows maybe when I get back into town the boss will have more work lined up

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by mpr73 View Post
    As stated before SMW is at 41 on the check. What is B card wages at? what kind of difference are we talking, and how do i explain that to the wife, LOL
    I am always interested in working and working 40+ for slightly lower wage is better than 41 and only doing 2-3 days a week. My email is in my profile o feel free to end any info that way too. Who knows maybe when I get back into town the boss will have more work lined up
    597's B-Card is approximately $33/hr. Our proposed MES Serviceman would be around $35-36.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    california
    Posts
    223
    Is the proposed Mes card something that is going to go into action soon?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205
    I think the Commercial Service Tech will be by the firsts of April. The MES Serviceman is not a card, it's an NSMA classification. Some Locals do use that title too though. In 597, you'd probably be issued a B-Card even though it has no effect in the shop. NSMA signatories don't have to sign any Local agreements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event