Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi! Paul Bee,

Add me to your friend list, By the way I'm Julius 36 old live at Philippines, right now i'm apprentice here in my town working in Refrigertion and airconditioning.

I graduate, Refrigeration and Airconditioning in 1999-2001, after i graduate i work in the shop only 5 months nothing to learn because my boss a sign me for only cleaning like Window type, split type etc. untill i resign and find a new job for higher paid. And i was hired at FEDEX here in Philippines i work almost 7 yrs in the FEDEX COMPANY. Then the company move to China, after that i'm jobless again and now i continuing my profession as HVAC Technician but during on my first work in the shop i was confussed in times of work i think i need more experience to do the job by my self.

CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?! THANK U

bEST regards,
    JULIUS A.

Well when I first started in this field, I was fortunate to find a company that actually took people in off the street and trained them. Unfortunately things in my life at the time prevented me from making a career out of it and I didn't get to stay with them very long. Now, years later, I'm looking to get back into the field. And a few threads below yours, I received the same links posted here. Best thing for you to do is visit those links and contact those organizations and see what they say. I know little about unions but if they train you for free and even pay you, might as well try those options first before trying to go to a college of some sort. I still haven't heard back from either of them but hopefully soon. Its never too late for anything btw. Good luck with whatever you do.

@John Markl

I wish I could find people like you around here

Can you block that guy from here

Smile juls_asia

Hi! John Markl, thanks for your advise pls! add me to your friendlist...

take any hvac/r job you can get no matter the pay it will be low.go to night school at your nearest career center or vo ca school listen to the old timers they might not be up to date but they are really smart.i only make 13/hr and it took me almost 2 years to get that,but i am learning so much.i look at it as i am getting paid to go to school . my schooling and certificate just allowed me to join the club to learn more.i am still at the bottom of the toetom pole.eventually when you get youre time i9n 3 to 5 years you can name youre price and every company will offer you a job.put your time in and eventually after 3 to 5 you will make more than most college graduates

Quote Originally Posted by royd2 View Post
    take any hvac/r job you can get no matter the pay it will be low.go to night school at your nearest career center or vo ca school listen to the old timers they might not be up to date but they are really smart.i only make 13/hr and it took me almost 2 years to get that,but i am learning so much.i look at it as i am getting paid to go to school . my schooling and certificate just allowed me to join the club to learn more.i am still at the bottom of the toetom pole.eventually when you get youre time i9n 3 to 5 years you can name youre price and every company will offer you a job.put your time in and eventually after 3 to 5 you will make more than most college graduates
    You make a great point. Too many guys come out of tech school, expecting their first job to be "paid lab time". Sorry, it doesn't work that way. A smart business owner knows that he has to eat some of your pay for training purposes, but he isn't running a charity ward. You must be at least somewhat productive in order to justify being on the payroll.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Entry level jobs?

Old post. But rather than start a new one I figured I'd continue with my questions here.......

I still haven't made a decision yet as to what direction I'm going to take career wise. I've been searching for hvac related jobs off and on for the past several months, mostly online............but where are all the entry level jobs? Am I just not looking in the right places? Are the entry level jobs usually not advertised? With a few exceptions, I can't find anything, 8 bucks an hour or otherwise. I've found some "helper" jobs but even those want experience. Hate to go to school and not be able to find anything afterward, no matter the pay. I see all kinds of jobs for experienced techs, usually 3-5 years or more.

I've looked in areas other than where I live, including "growth areas" (which is certainly not here) and the result is the same. Is this the type of situation where as a totally green new guy, school or no school, going out and "pounding the pavement" is the order of battle?

Quote Originally Posted by turbine53 View Post
    Old post. But rather than start a new one I figured I'd continue with my questions here.......

I still haven't made a decision yet as to what direction I'm going to take career wise. I've been searching for hvac related jobs off and on for the past several months, mostly online............but where are all the entry level jobs? Am I just not looking in the right places? Are the entry level jobs usually not advertised? With a few exceptions, I can't find anything, 8 bucks an hour or otherwise. I've found some "helper" jobs but even those want experience. Hate to go to school and not be able to find anything afterward, no matter the pay. I see all kinds of jobs for experienced techs, usually 3-5 years or more.

I've looked in areas other than where I live, including "growth areas" (which is certainly not here) and the result is the same. Is this the type of situation where as a totally green new guy, school or no school, going out and "pounding the pavement" is the order of battle?

go online, find all the HVAC companies near you, call them and talk to them. I did this as an electrical apprentice and HVAC apprentice. I called 146 employers before I landed my first electrical job, no experience no tools. Called about 25 employers to land my first HVAC job but I had a gas license. Sending resumes don't work unless you're very experienced.

build your resume and get all the training you can get
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

1.) If you get into a one year program read all of the books twice. The teachers may not teach well but that doesn't mean you can't learn it all.

2.) You want 100% perfect attendance. That will be the the most important stat to show hiring managers. It is the first thing on their list. Will you be on time and miss very few days.

3.) Realize from the get go that your first company should only last for 3 years unless you have been given a 5 dollar pay increase in that time period. Most companies will not increase your pay more then a dollar a year. That means if you start at 12, don't receive a 90 day pay increase, you will most likely be making 15 bucks or less after five years.

In many cases after 3 years of employment in the field, it will be easier for you to get a pay raise by changing companies and starting off with 16 to 17 dollars. After 6 years if you are not making 19 - 20 you should change jobs again.

I love how bosses say employees have no loyalty but I see them hire someone they don't know and paying more money to because of the amount of work time they had then they do guys they do know with the same work time but have been with the company more years.

I have only worked for my current company for 1 2/3 of a year and I am very happy with my pay increase to this point because it is more then a dollar a year.

If after 3 years I have not received at least a 5 dollar increase I will have to change jobs. At that point I will be asking for at least 5 more dollars then I make now.

It is sad that you have to do these types of things to raise your income but there it is.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Most small companies don't post for entry but send them a resume anyhow they might hire you. Companies are moving towards more limited temp hires that they make permanent when the time is up(often is 720-960 hours of work), so check the temp agencies.

do you think exceltech can beat supertech?
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

I think we would do better to join forces and become Superxceltech. We will take over the world and chew bubble gum.

They wont know what hit them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast