+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CVRE motor burn out

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    You are not looking for generic ideas, you are in a very grey area looking for specific troubleshooting help.

What is your job title?
    Why have you come here looking for answers?
    Why have you not yet hired a contractor?
    You have made it very clear that you don't understand this machine, what exactly are you looking to gain here?

You see, when I see someone asking "What should my set points be for this 500 ton chiller" I get very concerned as to who is asking and why they are asking.

Maintance men need to keep their booger hooks off the buttons... If you catch my drift.
    Tehe he said Booger!

Post Likes
    Although I do see a few configuration mistakes, IE , setup of evap flow is wrong as you are ice building and specific gravity is one and flow setpoints are incorrect, I don't think any of these is what caused your failure. It looks to be a system problem and has something to do with flows. You have numerous trips and you are starting that chiller every half an hour on average. This start stop ratio is causing something to happen with the motor winding sensors. They are out of range and could be shorting intermittently. Being 450 pounds short and causing excessive cycling is where you should be concerned, not the panel install. I would look at this as a site with poor or improper maintenance being done or not done at all and rebuild the chiller and get a competent technician involved. I think you are looking in the wrong direction.

Post Likes
    From my research of the issues and with the help from a "few" guys on this thread. I would agree with what you said. I don't think the panel was the issue but poor PM and oversight. The motor was the original motor, when Trane got the new panel in they commission it and everything seemed to be OK and ran for a while. however air in the system and low freon i think caused havoc on the motor with the surging. They said they ran the unit slowly bringing it up as they purged, but who knows. I feel they should have vacuumed as much air out before starting and not putting the strain on the motor. not having past megg readings don't help. But from this experience i will adopt new PM policies.

The service report you see is when the unit was already down, the alarm history that shows the latching alarms is when they were hooking up the lap top and powering up the panel. Is what they tell me why you see those alarms.

lastly, i did ask for the data log but they insist the service log is all they can get and that there is no other data to extract from the panel. But Im still checking.

Over all we may never know what really caused it but, the effort to find a reason was worth it. Thanks everyone for the help.

Post Likes
    The right terminology means so much,it is "Evacuate" the chiller. Not "vacuum" the system/compressor. As far as the O.P. goes, hope by now the problem has been handled by a professional crew,and is resolved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in