Thread: furance

furance

Hi
    I'm debating on what furance, stay with fuel oil that is 20 years old or go wiht new propane, fuel oil is over twice what propane is a gallon. just like to see what everyone thinks.
    Thanks Herman

For what an oil furnace will cost to replace, you can usually get a really efficient propane furnace and in my experience, you'll not have the constant expense of nozzles, oil filter i.e. maintenance and upkeep you have with the oil. Also hate the smell throughout home from servicing the oil unit. My recommendation would be the high efficiency gas furnace over the oil, regardless of fuel cost.

Quote Originally Posted by tec man View Post
    Hi
    I'm debating on what furance, stay with fuel oil that is 20 years old or go wiht new propane, fuel oil is over twice what propane is a gallon. just like to see what everyone thinks.
    Thanks Herman
    Where do you live geographically? A heat pump with back up propane may save you allot of money.

furance

I live in up state NY Watertown .

Regarding the unit price per gallon; #2 fuel oil puts-out around 138,000 to 140,000-Btu per gallon; propane delivers around 91,500-Btu per gallon.

I'd go with the high efficiency propane; make sure it is converted from natural gas to propane.

You should gain a lot on efficiency & the air conditioner may also work better due possibly to, better airflow.

If it has a thermoplastic evaporator drain on an the bottom of it has to be a minimum of 2" above the furnace; I'd install it a lot higher for possible better airflow reasons.
    Last edited by udarrell; 01-31-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: #2 fuel oil...

furance

Thanks, what make propane furance should I be looking for and should I go wiht single or two stage ? Thanks Herman

The brand of furnace isn't important. Finding a company that will do a room-by-room load analysis and then check the duct sizing and then tell you all about the different bells and whistles to improve comfort and lower operating expenses are the real issues.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Skip's right. Proper sizing and installation trump brand.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM