upgrading from Trane XE1000 (seer 10) heat pump to a Rheem 13 or 14.5 seer pump

Hello....got some questions and seeking some advice on a HVAC system for a home I am purchasing. Details.....

Home is a well built single story 1900 sqft ranch house in the DFW area (1986)....all brick with no frills double-pane windows. The house is all electric....everything! Flex ducts in the attic, with a decent amount of loose fill insulation between joists. Prob could use some more insulation, but hey; whose attic couldn't use more insulation. No radiant barrier. The home is extremely well maintained, but it does suffer from an outdated HVAC system. The current HVAC system is an outdoor heat pump with the air handler in double closet in the hallway. I am already worried about high $$ energy bills this summer, so I am planning on replacing the system upon acceptance of the property. Currently, the heat pump is a Trane XE1000 (seer 10)....the air handler is an Arcoaire BYMD030. The air handler looks to be OEM to the house. I am pretty certain the handler is 86' vintage I don't know the seer rating for the handler, but I feel certain it is less than 10. I thing the handler is the weakest link in the system, but both pieces are out-dated.

After some research, I feel pretty confident that a Rheem system is what I would like to get. However, I am torn on what I should get. There are two systems that fall in my budget ($3k-$5k....$5k tops). I have been looking at the Rheem 13PJL heat pump with the RHSL air handler. This system will get me between 13-14 seer and 11-12 eer. The second system I am looking at is the 14PJM heat pump with the RHLL handler. This system should get me 14.5 seer and 12 eer. The two systems differ in price by about $800.

I guess my questions are,

How much of difference is the new Rheem system going to be over the old existing system currently in the home?

How much of a difference will the extra 1.5 seer make between the two Rheem systems I am looking at?

How can you tell the difference between a hack installer and an installer who knows his stuff?

What should be a fair price for either unit installed, what is too much?

THANKS for your help!

First, on how to find a good installer is a tricky one to answer. Everyone here will have a different answer. You will need to do your homework. Calling referrals and the Better Business Bureau is a start.

My experiance is that it starts with a good, honest and knowledgeable salesman.

In the 10 & 12 SEER days, the cube heat pump was a real nightmare of problems. We started selling the 13-15 SEER versions again to my dismay. Hopefully, Rheem corrected the issues that led to the problems. But if budget permits, spend the extra on a deluxe unit. The RPNL-030 (if you need 2.5 ton) with X13 blower gets some pretty impressive efficiency numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    First, on how to find a good installer is a tricky one to answer. Everyone here will have a different answer. You will need to do your homework. Calling referrals and the Better Business Bureau is a start.

My experiance is that it starts with a good, honest and knowledgeable salesman.
    I will second this recommendation. It is hard to find the "right" installer. Check for bad reviews on the internet by doing company name searches also.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    In the 10 & 12 SEER days, the cube heat pump was a real nightmare of problems. We started selling the 13-15 SEER versions again to my dismay. Hopefully, Rheem corrected the issues that led to the problems. But if budget permits, spend the extra on a deluxe unit. The RPNL-030 (if you need 2.5 ton) with X13 blower gets some pretty impressive efficiency numbers.
    If I'm not mistaken those issues were corrected. I agree with the product recommendations too.