Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    oh ya thats the sound of a jet taking off, I mean it is a little odd sounding but to me its normal just louder than it should be, I almost have to wonder if the compressor is just buying time it is only 1 yr old and they say it has always done it Im not super smart on compressors diff prob but I could tell you if it took a crap for sure

but I have to say if It was my house I would not like it and thats how I try to look at things thats why they call me again I guess (I care) I know alot of companies that would blow em off, its a learning curve for me

I'm sure they will have one, probably the same comp. for there other units unless you go two stage comp.

you could check the amp draw to make sure there isn't a prob. there. caring is good i've been in buis for 12 years now on referrals so it does matter. It will help you to keep track of your amps volts typical pm test so you have a reference each time you do a P.M. that way you can tell if something is starting to go bad. although the load on the system will effect this. so record all of your measurements.I have had scrolls do this before and the home owner said it just started everything tested ok so we put on a comp. jacket and it been good for years. same readings each P.M.

I've heard hundreds of units that sounded aweful , and keep on trucking for years and years ....

no to the hard start, yes to the CCH
    Total Energy Management, inc

The scroll internals are not meshed when "Off" so when powered up the compressor is basically starting "unloaded" so the amount of torque required is less than that of a recip comp.
    The sound on start up, is normal, When orbiting scroll starts to "wobble" it hits the stationary scroll, metal on metal. I tend to hear a larger sound the longer it has been off. Maybe the oil is draining from the faces, which act as a bit of a natural dampener

One idea on going into defrost ...

We install Bryant. We have had numerous complaints about the noise on the 410a scrolls. Blanket helped somewhat.

On the defrost board there are 3 dip switches. 2 are used to set the defrost timer, the other one sets what they call "quiet shift". What it does is delay a few seconds before going into defrost mode from heating mode. This allows the pressures to equalize somewhat before shifting into defrost. Makes for a quieter shift.

HTH
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Check the and be sure the defrost board three dip switches are set correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacmike85 View Post
    Does anyone know if carrier/bryant od units require hard start kits when using txv? The tech support guy in Indy said if it needs it its on there but I dont know if I believe that. Im having a heat pump make alot of noise at start up making the homeowner a little edgey I have also considered a crankcase heater any help thank you!!! MW
    What is your L.R.A.? I have always been taught if your starting inrush amp draw is 50% or more you should add in a hard start kit. I prefer the two-wire type. I don't know if this is a "standard" practice but have always found it beneficial in reducing starting amperage and in some cases reducing start-up "noise" by allowing it to do so much smoother from the increased torque. A scroll is still a positive displacement compressor. Did you check the system previously at warmer ambient temps? Was/is your subcooling on target? I would assume being over or under could cause a harder start. Is it a compliant or non-compliant scroll? Just curious, but both are traditionally louder on start up then say a recip IMO.

I believe you would benefit well from a compressor jacket and a crank case heater. You almost have to have one on a HP. Check the schematics, it may have one internally using the motor windings. One possible indicator can be if the contactor is single pole. That potential is being used to keep something energized. However, if it doesn't have one the oil is gonna wanna migrate inside until entrainment returns it outside. The oils are what gas seals the edges of the scroll. Without them your destined to have a loud start up and likely premature compressor failure. Sorry so long winded, just trying to help.
    Last edited by Ron223; 02-07-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Adding more information

Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    no to the hard start, yes to the CCH
    I agree...have had similar complaints. the installation instructions do not require hard starts on the scrolls, but I have started to install the CCH's on every install and it seems to help.

install a compressor blanket which will only help some what. get a real heavy blanket not their cheap POS 3oz plastic blanket. if the unit has long lines then you could add a solenoid on the liquid line at outdoor unit. follow instructions on which way to point the arrow. Hard start kits are awesome for compressors but wont help with the noise. and last turn the quiet shift off because its gonna make the same noise regardless. which is worse.....cycling the compressor on and off? or keeping the compressor on and switching r/v?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron223 View Post
    What is your L.R.A.? I have always been taught if your starting inrush amp draw is 50% or more you should add in a hard start kit. I prefer the two-wire type. I don't know if this is a "standard" practice but have always found it beneficial in reducing starting amperage and in some cases reducing start-up "noise" by allowing it to do so much smoother from the increased torque. A scroll is still a positive displacement compressor. Did you check the system previously at warmer ambient temps? Was/is your subcooling on target? I would assume being over or under could cause a harder start. Is it a compliant or non-compliant scroll? Just curious, but both are traditionally louder on start up then say a recip IMO.

I believe you would benefit well from a compressor jacket and a crank case heater. You almost have to have one on a HP. Check the schematics, it may have one internally using the motor windings. One possible indicator can be if the contactor is single pole. That potential is being used to keep something energized. However, if it doesn't have one the oil is gonna wanna migrate inside until entrainment returns it outside. The oils are what gas seals the edges of the scroll. Without them your destined to have a loud start up and likely premature compressor failure. Sorry so long winded, just trying to help.
    what is it 50% of? It was way under L.R.A. I'm not sure what a compliant or non is? Thanks for your help too, im gonna try the blanket and cch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast