Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    install a compressor blanket which will only help some what. get a real heavy blanket not their cheap POS 3oz plastic blanket. if the unit has long lines then you could add a solenoid on the liquid line at outdoor unit. follow instructions on which way to point the arrow. Hard start kits are awesome for compressors but wont help with the noise. and last turn the quiet shift off because its gonna make the same noise regardless. which is worse.....cycling the compressor on and off? or keeping the compressor on and switching r/v?
    I have actually fond that turning the quiet shift ON will in fact reduce the noise to the homeowner. You don't get that SWOOSH sound when the valve reverses.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

yea sometimes they can....my neighbor has his quiet shift on and it still makes a bunch of ruckuss. i've tested a bunch and i just turn them off. my opinion is get used to the noise and safe the compressor.

I recently took off a hard start on a 3 ton package unit heat pump that had a lot of scroll start up noise, and replaced it with an Emerson SecureStart (Soft Start), that hyper engineering makes, they call it a Sure start. It made a huge diffference in the sound of start up in cooling mode. Have not tested it in heating mode.

The unit had a compressor blanket, CCH, isolation bolts on compressor base, installed aftermarket. It is rather pricy but it made the most difference in start up noise than the other parts installed combined. It remains to be see if it will work as well in heating mode, and I don't see how it would make any difference while defrosting.

Hyper engineering includes the wires for installation and has the better instructions. It also reduced the LRA from 55 with the 5-2-1 hard start installed to 33.2 amps with the SecureStart. This is on a unit that has a 77 LRA rating. Emerson has a 2 for 1 sale, but if you only need one Hyper Engineering is probably cheaper.

You really should be in sales...

If you have an old analog amprobe lying around you can get a good read on the compressor start up. See if all that "sound" is excessive current.

Is the evaporator higher up than the condenser?
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Good point I was trying to see if it was a split system or a package unit. Gravity brings up valid point concerning the possibility of liquid flood back to the condensor thru the liquid line during the off cycle if it is a split system. Great explanation of this on this thread.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....r-P-Trap/page2

I have been told (and read) that scrolls are noisier when new and "wear in", and eventually become quieter. Is the customer pretty patient?
    KX500......the original big green meanie

most carrier heat pumps have a option on the defrost board for quiet **** option. it shuts down the unit before it goes into defrost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123