Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oh No ! Global Cooling

Oh Joe, Say It Ain't So.

Could we be heading for a period that will leave Al Gore twisting in the wind (er.. Hot Air)?

The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.
    The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.

Article
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Some scientists say that the reduction will likely be offset by the current global warming so the decrease is only to be 0.8C. No worries mate, just a little bump in the road and scientists never said the science was completely understood. We just have to sit back and watch.

Last year, as climate change deniers were up in arms over the so-called “Climategate” controversy involving alleged manipulation of climate data, one skeptical scientist proposed taking a fresh look. Richard Muller, a physicist at the University of California-Berkeley and a self-described climate skeptic, undertook to review the temperature data underlying most global warming studies. Now his team has wrapped up their work, and it apparently solidifies the other studies’ findings.

Actually, the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project found the Earth is getting even warmer than other climate scientists claim.
    http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...l-warming-real

Most of the warming effect is said to be taking at the poles. From local experience, our north is not freezing over as it was, we build ice roads every year to get into some communities and the time they are open is less every year. A creek that runs by my place used to freeze over every year and the last two years there has been open water right through winter, this year we are having a record warm winter due to the arctic oscillation. Whether any of this is global warming I can't say for sure. But I like it.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Most of the warming effect is said to be taking at the poles. From local experience, our north is not freezing over as it was, we build ice roads every year to get into some communities and the time they are open is less every year. A creek that runs by my place used to freeze over every year and the last two years there has been open water right through winter, this year we are having a record warm winter due to the arctic oscillation. Whether any of this is global warming I can't say for sure. But I like it.
    You can't determine the validity of a global event by local events. Global climate change means unusual weather patterns but not necessarily warmer ones (even if the global trend is warming).

Conversely a colder period does not necessarily mean colder local events.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

what about the refrigeration effect of ice. As ice melts it absorbs heat (latent heat not measurable] Then the heat is released into the oceans. Most of the glaciers are receding faster than ever and even greenland and ice shelves are disappearing rapidly. so as the ice melts it is cooling the atmosphere and warming the ocean with sensible heat. Eventually as the ice disappears and becomes less able to absorb the heat the refrigeration effect will slow down thus allowing the atmos. to really start warming up. You can look at the yearly temperatures and isolated highs and lows but the proof is in the ice, follow the ice and it takes out all of the opinions that everyone has about global warming.

Ice melt at the poles could still be a localized effect due to shifting ocean currents and air currents. It's still a net sum equation that has to take into account totla energy contained in air, water and land mass. Not easy to measure accurately IMO.

If I could just find those 2000 year old infrared images of the planet taken from sattelite.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Ice melt at the poles could still be a localized effect due to shifting ocean currents and air currents. It's still a net sum equation that has to take into account totla energy contained in air, water and land mass. Not easy to measure accurately IMO.

If I could just find those 2000 year old infrared images of the planet taken from sattelite.
    Yes but it is a good hypothesis for an ac guy to come up with don't you think?

As the earth continues to move away from the sun (~6 inches/yr) I predict there will global cooling. Eventually the earth will fall out the suns orbit and we will all spin out of control into the vastness of space and die a most unpleasant death.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

the warming we are experiencing is due to the Earthquakes off Haiti and Japan along with the earthquake that cause the tsunami in Indonesia. Each quake cause the Earth to shift a degree or 2 on its axis.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    the warming we are experiencing is due to the Earthquakes off Haiti and Japan along with the earthquake that cause the tsunami in Indonesia. Each quake cause the Earth to shift a degree or 2 on its axis.
    What we need is for California to drop into the ocean to tilt us back. Maybe it will once Queen Pelosi retires in San Fransicko next year. It will do nothing to keep us from spinning away from the sun though.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

6" a year. Oh crap.... that's like 500 feet in 1000 years. Oh man, we're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    You can't determine the validity of a global event by local events. Global climate change means unusual weather patterns but not necessarily warmer ones (even if the global trend is warming).

Conversely a colder period does not necessarily mean colder local events.
    I went and checked out some different Global Warming studies and miscellaneous scientific sites and man they argue in thier threads as much as us HVAC nuts. No wonder there is no answer on Climate Change. Especially since most of the funding for the research comes from the U.S. Govt.

Man is my brain fried now!!! A new kind of sunburn.

Quote Originally Posted by WebCTRL View Post
    I went and checked out some different Global Warming studies and miscellaneous scientific sites and man they argue in thier threads as much as us HVAC nuts. No wonder there is no answer on Climate Change. Especially since most of the funding for the research comes from the U.S. Govt.

Man is my brain fried now!!! A new kind of sunburn.
    Drugs would have fried your brain much more pleasantly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast