Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians

In my life to date, be it in working for, with or knowing as occasional aquaintance, people claiming themselves to be Christian, they just never live up to their Exterior holier than thou rant.

Most of these types can be borderline fanatical when discusion erupts with them about religion, but then, you see they never live up to their own preachings really.

I don't generalize my findings. It's been my factual personal experience with them. I can not take one seriously at face value.

You know, there are going to be good cops and bad cops. Good doctors and bad doctors. Good Christians and bad.

What makes you the best you can be? Striving for perfection? Well, that can never be achieved so why do it?

If we can't allow each other to be human beings and make mistakes, I'd say we are in a whole heap of trouble!
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Originally posted by scrogdog
    You know, there are going to be good cops and bad cops. Good doctors and bad doctors. Good Christians and bad.

What makes you the best you can be? Striving for perfection? Well, that can never be achieved so why do it?

If we can't allow each other to be human beings and make mistakes, I'd say we are in a whole heap of trouble!
    Almost every experience of mine, which I would say has been about 100 different people in my adult life who claim to be christians have all been high on the virtue, but little in the way of practicing what they preach. So it seems rather a high number of my experiences were bad cops. Only a handful of good cops.

Were all fallable, and most of us know we can not be perfect but the very thing that gets me about these types is their being so fanatical when in discussion about their beleifs and their arguements for living as a pure a life as one can due to the christian code. But then they go out and do the opposite.

What is that? And why?

Dow, I ran into the same thing, the ones that pissed me off the most are the born again type, well let see, you use to do alcohol, drugs, bang every whore,steal from your family and now, 40years later you found Jesus and you are giving me advise.......I let 'em have it, my wife brothers is one of them.

Yeah, D's, being a Christian does not mean being perfect. It just means being forgiven. It means our eternity is secure. It does not mean we will live up to Jesus' standards. No man (or woman) can.

It DOES mean we are called to try to be holy. Not perfect...holy. To be holy is to be different...not perfect.

I have found it much easier to live up to Christ's expectation of Christians than to non-Christian's expectations of Christians. And the ones who "go off" on you when you make statements like the post above are the ones who are usually trying to meet your expectations and not Jesus' expectations. And everyone fails miserably at both attempts...not because we are not Christians but because we ARE humans and "fall short of the glory of God".

I have been on both sides, D's. I used to have exactly your perspective. But now that I'm saved, OI see things differently and realize that I do not have to live up to anyone's expectations except Jesus'. And He doesn't beat me up when I fail (which is often). Rather, He picks me up, dusts me off, pats me on the rear and says, "Go try again. Only this time, let Me help." He knows my fallability. He knows my weaknesses. But He knows my heart. And the condition of my heart is how I'll be judged, not by my failings. The world judges by successes and failures. God does not.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Many D's, what you are seeing is hypocrachy. As a christian I do things that do not line up with my allegiance to Christ. That makes me a hypocrit. My allegiance is to Christ and my (I can only speak for myself) desire is to weed out of my life the things that do not line up with my pledged allegiance. I am in the process of becoming who Christ wants me to be, it is a process, it is not a list of things, it is a relationship. I understand your frustration, understand that I am frustrated when I fail to live up to my "label", the Problem is ME not Christ.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

I understand what christ was trying to accomplish.

I could never be a christian though. Talk about fallen virtues. If I were to claim to be a christian I would be judgemental, deceitful and arrogant. I am trying to not be any of those things. I'm also trying my best to not be a christian. I'll be a better human being in the long run if I steer clear of christianity.

[Edited by refrigeration mafia on 04-07-2006 at 09:48 AM]

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia
    I understand what christ was trying to accomplish.

I could never be a christian though. Talk about fallen virtues. If I were to claim to be a christian I would be judgemental, deceitful and arrogant. I am trying to not be any of those things. I'm also trying my best to not be a christian.
    Well, work on not being stupid and trying to attach a generalization to every Christian

So you are trying to be perfect. Let us know when you accomplish that.

Got news for you. The Church is for sinners and the bible which is mostly a Hebrew writing mentions that. They are sinners just like you.

Are you trying your best not to be a Jews also ?

Try this, just work on being a person that does not publish yourself as such an ass. No one is holding a gun to your head to be a Christian, Muslim or Jew. They all probably would be satisfied if you stayed the way you are.

Originally posted by James 3528

Well, work on not being stupid and trying to attach a generalization to every Christian

Got news for you. The Church is for sinners and the bible which is mostly a Hebrew writing mentions that. They are sinners just like you.

Try this, just work on being a person that does not publish yourself as such an ass. No one is holding a gun to your head to be a Christian, Muslim or Jew. They all probably would be satisfied if you stayed the way you are.
    Case and point.

I'd rather not associate with people such as yourself James.

Dow, I ran into the same thing, the ones that pissed me off the most are the born again type, well let see, you use to do alcohol, drugs, bang every whore,steal from your family and now, 40years later you found Jesus and you are giving me advise.......I let 'em have it, my wife brothers is one of them.
    Well, don't get me wrong. Some of the holier-than-thous can be a little aggrevating at times.

Still, this situation seems infinitely preferable than this person *continuing* to be a drinking, whoring thief! Sounds like a win for Christianity to me.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

some of you, sound genuine, admit your not perfect and are quite humble of the challengs to live the way is sought out by having Faith. Of any ind for that matter.

But. All too often I notice the lack of some of these characteristics come out when the religious discussions begin with some of these people.

I would give much more credibility, would have possibly been more ensared, convinced and welcomed the thought of having faith had I not seen such an aggressive push, with that lack of humility in the way some want to convince you to live your life that way. It usually the oppostie. They preach all day long, then behind closed doors it's a whole other story. Religion to me in any form it just seems like it is this way with every Denomination.

I have been told many times, I am unfit because I have not accpeted christ. The same people, then go and do such opposite of what they ask me to belive in.

You'll never get anywhere that way.

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia
    Originally posted by James 3528

Case and point.

I'd rather not associate with people such as yourself James.
    I never said I was a Christian. In fact I asked you about Jews and Muslims. Case in point indeed.

The point is, many people who say they are Christians don't know crap about being one, just like the millions of democrats that can't name the chairman of the party when asked yet say they are democrats. And don't worry, anyone that would generalise like you do about people wouldn't decide about associating with me. I would.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    some of you, sound genuine, admit your not perfect and are quite humble of the challengs to live the way is sought out by having Faith. Of any ind for that matter.

But. All too often I notice the lack of some of these characteristics come out when the religious discussions begin with some of these people.

I would give much more credibility, would have possibly been more ensared, convinced and welcomed the thought of having faith had I not seen such an aggressive push, with that lack of humility in the way some want to convince you to live your life that way. It usually the oppostie. They preach all day long, then behind closed doors it's a whole other story. Religion to me in any form it just seems like it is this way with every Denomination.

I have been told many times, I am unfit because I have not accpeted christ. The same people, then go and do such opposite of what they ask me to belive in.

You'll never get anywhere that way.
    Kinda sounds like you are doing a little preaching of your own. Do you think any of this would apply to Jews, Muslims (which you are surrounded by) or did you just wake up today and decided to preach about just people that say they are Christians? You have kind of changed your tone now from first singling out Christians in the above statement.

I am sure you can go into downtown Detroit and have the Muslims think you are not fit to live with the hogs. What the problem with posting something about that? Not enough Muslims on the forum to offend?

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast