Thread: York Ram Motor

York Ram Motor

I had a bad experiance with a York motor recently. It Had been going through rear bearings in the past and the vibration anaylsis report confirmed the need for bearings again. Assumed bearing flutting from the VFD. Pulled the motor back and installed an Insocote ceramic bearing in the rear and standard SFK 6316 C3 in the front. Seemed routine no red flags. Got it all back together and was running it uncoupled for 15 20 minites and the rear bearing literally caught on fire. Fire department, the whole deal. Well once I got over that sickening feally you get when you have #### up, I pulled it back apart and the rear bearing was in peices, the rotor had dropped enough to need extensive repair, seal cover bent, shaft scared. Had to wheal the 2 ton bugger through some terible places to get it out the door and on a truck. The bearing shows signs of fretting on the outer race and serious outer thrust on the inner race. When I listened to the bearing at start up I herd no unusal noise or excessive heat The rear bearing was warm but not hot. 10 minutes later it was on fire. I have probably done bearings on 50 York motors over the years and never had problem, but upon research of this failure I discovered a lot of things I did not know about motor bearing fits and measurements. I have always gone by how it feels in the bore and goes on the shaft, not much measuring going on, well I got burned and feel like a dumb a##. The company was good about it, I have built up a little credit over the years and now the motor is off to Ram Indutrial Service to be repaired. I was wondering if anyone has had a failure of this nature and also what type of checks do you do when installing motor bearings. I am embaressed to say but I dont even have the tools to measure a 7 inch bore to the micro meater standard as specified.The plane angle or bore straightness is measured in minutes of angle for gods sake. After a through evaluation of the bearing and motor I have come to the conclusion that I dont know what the heck happened. Thanks for allowing me to vent a little.This job can sure be humbleing. The motor is a Ram 765 HP 5010DZ Frame, 460 V 3600 RPM.

we all **** up once in a while ...welcome to the club! if you haven't ****ed up, then you are a liar or you haven't been in the business long enough. only the experienced techs usually get to make the biggest mistakes!

the cool part is that every company out there says that they are the best, they will take care of the customer better than everybody, blah, blah, blah.

you get the opportunity to show them that you will take care of the issue, even if it is your fault. handle the problem with humility and a focus on making sure the customer is taken care of and you will keep their business...and your job. how you handle this issue is a perfect example of what the young techs will look up to you for.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    we all **** up once in a while ...welcome to the club! if you haven't ****ed up, then you are a liar or you haven't been in the business long enough. only the experienced techs usually get to make the biggest mistakes!

the cool part is that every company out there says that they are the best, they will take care of the customer better than everybody, blah, blah, blah.

you get the opportunity to show them that you will take care of the issue, even if it is your fault. handle the problem with humility and a focus on making sure the customer is taken care of and you will keep their business...and your job. how you handle this issue is a perfect example of what the young techs will look up to you for.
    Agree 100% with this statement.

Also, I use a Starrett 8" inside mike, with an 8 point check at two different depths of the bore, as well as what you can see and feel. Keep your chin up......

The Ram motor was the biggest mistake that York has ever made, other than selling out to JCI. The Ram motor is like the Ford 6.0 engine, junk. Anyone that works on alot of Yorks will confirm this statement. I have seen more problems with this motor, bearing failures, windings burning up. Most are still in warranty, thank God. My advice is to keep up with the grease schedule, and pray; ALOT! It is not your fault about the motor, you should not have had to replace the bearings anyway. We work on open drive machines that are over 50 years old and never had the bearings go bad. Good luck and keep your head up.

Got an 09' out for it's second set of bearings since June 10 startup. A friend of mine who does alot of vibration analisys says there is not enough motor iron and that is causing the failures. I guess mass vs HP.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"