Thread: New Furnace or Not with new AC

Post Likes
    We need to replace a 20 year old AC with a leaky internal coil and are stuck wondering if we should also replace the 20 year old Lennox furnace, which two of the bidders estimated at 65-69% efficiency.

Additionally, our EAC went out and we're looking at replacing it with the American Standard AccuClean. We live in ST. Louis, MO and plan on being in the house for about 5 more years. My hunch is to replace the whole system (Furnace, AC, Air Cleaner and humidifier) but I'm trying not to spend unnecessarily if our furnace still has some life in it and it would make sense to be a bit conservative in the spending.

I want to get clearer about the pros and cons of replacing AC and EAC only versus the whole unit. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    a new furnace is better equipped to handle the needs of the air conditioning system. A furnace that is designed to operate with the AC system you are installing is even better equipped. At 20 years old, your furnace is living on borrowed time anyway. The installers will need to disconnect the ductwork to install the coil, do you really want to pay them again to disconnect the ducts in a year or two to replace the furnace? It is always cheaper to replace both at the same time as far as installation costs go. If it isn't, your contractor is fooking you. It may be more expensive than just replacing the AC, but it definitely holds the best value.
    As for the air cleaner, I believe the accuclean/cleaneffects system has components that must be washed by the homowner. It's a good system that works very well, but YOU will be resposible for maintaining it. If you are thorough and always do all the maintenance around the house on time, then it shouldn't be a problem. Most electronic air cleaners that i come across are dirty and don't get cleaned by the homeowner like they should. if this sounds like something you may not keep up with, then I would say go with a replacable media filter, like the Aprilaire 2200. The 2200 is a very good air cleaner, if you want a step above you can go with the 5000, but unless you have someone in the house with severe allergies or asthma the 2200 is usually more than adequate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in