+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working in Bad neighborhoods

Post Likes

Working in Bad neighborhoods

Would you work for a company that a majority of their business in low income neighborhoods ?. Running calls in ghettoes all alone can be a high risk..

Post Likes
    Absolutely not.

I have worked for a company that took care of some sewage lift pumps in a very bad section 8 apartment complex. When I say bad I mean techs seeing a shooting take place, I saw a curb side memorial to a murder victim (shooting), been offered drugs, etc... We would get calls to this place about once a month for high water alarms and loss of power, money was no object as the feds were paying all of our overtime and double time.

It was company policy that no less than two techs had to respond and it was known who had their pistol permits and we got the majority of the runs to that crap hole (literately).

I remember one warm summer night in the middle of July getting a call at 1am for a high water alarm, I knew it was going to be "lively" down there so I called out two other techs to back me up. We had enough firepower between the three of us that we could have overtaken a small country.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    Would you work for a company that a majority of their business in low income neighborhoods ?. Running calls in ghettoes all alone can be a high risk..
    Not if it was against company policy to be armed....

A bit like being the pooper scooper at the lion cage at the zoo, don't you think? You might not get mauled today, or even over the next year, but sooner or later it will be your turn.

Post Likes
    Used to, but not anymore....they can freeze to death for all I care...freakin animals is what they are!

Post Likes
    I never had to feel threatened for my life but I have had the honor of getting my van stolen and tools yanked out of my van when i lived in St. Louis when I first started out. I am fortunate to live in rual USA and the only thing that would be considered the "bad" neighborhood would be the nasty poop covered floors of random trailers and rentals.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Post Likes
    I did it for years, and now I don't have to do it anymore. Seen alot of F'd up stuff. I started working for a company about 12 years ago. First day on the job my duties were to watch the vans during a rooftop changeout. Company policy was out of the bad neighborhoods by 4:00pm and no OT calls at night. Most of the restaurants in the crappy areas closed before it got dark anyways. Had a restaurant in the Englewood neighborhood that every service call 2 techs go out

freemind, OP is in Chicago. We have the strictest gun laws and some of the highest crime rates in the nation.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    First day on a new job & had just moved there, in Las Vegas, sent to Mt. Hood & Charleston. Was informed the cops call this area the guns and knives club.

3 days later while changing a compressor in roughly the same area, three swat vehicles rolled around the corner and kicked in the door 2 houses down.

Old hotel, wish I knew where it was in vegas, turned section 8 had window shakers. Had one guy working, the other watching. Parked around the back of the place I was staying a guy ran up to me and said man don't leave this parked here they will steal everything you own before you get done, he kindly watched my van for me for $5, I offered. At the same place a man and a woman got into an argument, woman punched the guy in his face, so he slammed her on the ground, cops came and they both went to jail. Went back to the office and told the dispatcher and the owner that if I was sent back there that I would be dropping my van off.

At a 7-11 on Charleston in LV, my dad was told by the manager to leave, he didn't care about what they had called in. My dad told them, but it is your policy that we go by a certain time. The manager informed him that the last 3 saturday nights there had been shooting in his parking lot. needless to say, he left and returned in the morning.

Don't do that anymore, work on markets, some can be in the ghetto, but still seems safer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I did it for years, and now I don't have to do it anymore. Seen alot of F'd up stuff. I started working for a company about 12 years ago. First day on the job my duties were to watch the vans during a rooftop changeout. Company policy was out of the bad neighborhoods by 4:00pm and no OT calls at night. Most of the restaurants in the crappy areas closed before it got dark anyways. Had a restaurant in the Englewood neighborhood that every service call 2 techs go out

freemind, OP is in Chicago. We have the strictest gun laws and some of the highest crime rates in the nation.
    NO WAY I would work there. My life and saftey are worth more than that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post

And yet no concealed carry.
    At some point one would one would have to form a conclusion that crimals could give a crap about your gun law.. should come to mind?
    Classmate of mine works the slums of Rockford. He is looking for a way out, problem is his boss keeps putting the carrot in front of him.
    The more I learn the smarter I work.

Post Likes

you know if all the: hvac, plumbers, pipe-fitters, electricians, general contractors and mechanics left the stink hole that is Chicago, all would change.

my toilet is clogged, crappy gun laws
    my house is cold/hot, crappy gun laws
    my car is broked, crappy gun laws
    my foundation is caving in, crappy gun laws

even king god emperor daley and stooges/ coneys would be affected by their actions

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel87829 View Post

you know if all the: hvac, plumbers, pipe-fitters, electricians, general contractors and mechanics left the stink hole that is Chicago, all would change.

even king god emperor daley and stooges/ coneys would be affected by their actions

There will ALWAYS be a sucker that puts his life on the line for a quick buck.

It just won't be you or me.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Define "bad neighborhood". There is not a neighborhood that's crime free. I can be easily robbed outside of Bloomingdales as well the Dollar Tree. Guns do not deter crime or criminals. Countries with very strict guns laws has some of the lowest crime. I have worked and walked in some of the worst and safest places in America. No matter what I will not walk or work in fear. I fear no man or woman. That's the truth to the matter. Actually, carrying a gun would make me fearful. Believe me, a person with a gun is not the bravest. I'm ex-military, gun owner since I was a preteen. It's how you carry yourself that a criminal decides target or not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnfreeze View Post
    Define "bad neighborhood". There is not a neighborhood that's crime free. I can be easily robbed outside of Bloomingdales as well the Dollar Tree. Guns do not deter crime or criminals. Countries with very strict guns laws has some of the lowest crime. I have worked and walked in some of the worst and safest places in America. No matter what I will not walk or work in fear. I fear no man or woman. That's the truth to the matter. Actually, carrying a gun would make me fearful. Believe me, a person with a gun is not the bravest. I'm ex-military, gun owner since I was a preteen. It's how you carry yourself that a criminal decides target or not.
    No offense but this is complete and utter BS.

You fear no man or woman? Have you ever had someone stick a .38spl to your head and demand your wallet? I know for a fact you would fear that person and do exactly as they demand.

As for your statement about being robbed outside a Bloomingdale's as easily as a Dollar Tree... You must live under a rock if you think you have the same odds of becoming a victim of crime in a rich neighborhood vs a ghetto slum.

A cracked out psychopath doesn't care how you carry yourself, they may however care what you are carrying, I prefer a Glock 23.

I will chalk this up to big boy, chest puffing, I am 7ft tall 300lb, internet talk.

Pull your head out of your
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Mnfreeze;12307211] I have worked and walked in some of the worst and safest places in America. No matter what I will not walk or work in fear. I fear no man or woman. [/

Come to Detroit. Trust me, I can take you to some "hoods" that I guarantee that you would not think about getting out of the truck. On second thought, in those "hoods" you may not get the choice, you just might get "jacked" driving thru there.

Post Likes
    Yes, I had someone to attempt to rob me @ gunpoint. Acted too crazy for the coward to pull the trigger. His partner said "that man is crazy, leave him". This is a true story. I will end this with. I'm here to discuss HVAC. I said my part. And yes, I only fear GOD. For man can only take the flesh, GOD can take your soul. Period.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    No offense but this is complete and utter BS.

You fear no man or woman? Have you ever had someone stick a .38spl to your head and demand your wallet? I know for a fact you would fear that person and do exactly as they demand.

As for your statement about being robbed outside a Bloomingdale's as easily as a Dollar Tree... You must live under a rock if you think you have the same odds of becoming a victim of crime in a rich neighborhood vs a ghetto slum.

A cracked out psychopath doesn't care how you carry yourself, they may however care what you are carrying, I prefer a Glock 23.

I will chalk this up to big boy, chest puffing, I am 7ft tall 300lb, internet talk.

Pull your head out of your
    +1

Acting like a crazy fool, is more likely to GET you shot. The gun stats crowed by MN is also FALSE. The opposite is actually true. It only takes a bit of research to show that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnfreeze View Post
    Yes, I had someone to attempt to rob me @ gunpoint. Acted too crazy for the coward to pull the trigger. His partner said "that man is crazy, leave him". This is a true story. I will end this with. I'm here to discuss HVAC. I said my part. And yes, I only fear GOD. For man can only take the flesh, GOD can take your soul. Period.

Sure, totally believable.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel87829 View Post

His highness King Daley retired last year. The Rahmfather is now in charge.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    well I ran plenty of no heats in the worst hoods in Detroit when i started out years ago. now I did all service calls alone I was the only one in the company that seemed to get along in the getto for some odd reason and the other guys were to chicken **** to take the calls. I told my boss that if call came in after 9 pm it was my call to go or not and he was fine with that. I never did a/c at night in bad areas as far as doing a no heat, i have to tell you what, when I pulled up to the house and I rang the bell I told the customer stand at the door and watch my truck if because if someone is ripping off my truck their ripping off the parts to get your heat going and they would lol it worked everytime. now on the other hand since i started to do commercial its a much different, story i mean while your on the roof they are cleaning out your truck. so if you do not want to work in a getto you might want to get out of the trade because they are out there and need to be serviced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by temp rise View Post
    now on the other hand since i started to do commercial its a much different, story i mean while your on the roof they are cleaning out your truck.
    LMAO. Reminds me of a story. I was working on top of a post office in Detroit when my phone rings. It's my boss. "What are you doing?". I'm fixin this roof top. "Can you see your truck?". Sure, let me walk over to the edge of the roof. WTH? The back door of my truck is wide open and some dude is standin there. I'm goin down to kick his a$$. "Wait a minute, thats a cop". Huh? Turns out that Farmington police were tailin this thief so that they could bust him. The idiot Farmington cop told me that he had to watch this guy clean out my truck because it wasn't his jurisdiction and he couldn't get a Detroit cop to show up. Talk about pissed off

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in